BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm following a Jeep Cherokee this morning out of the Canadian Tire parking lot and this fellow lays down some rubber. I understand these trucks have a 190 horse engine, so he's got power.
This thing has a mild lift and some 31's.
At the next stop sign he does the same thing,puts the petal down to lay some rubber as he makes a left turn.
As he's turning the right axle starts coming out of the housing!!!
Then he pulls over to the curb and the axle that has broken bashes up over the curb, bending the housing.
I have never seen anything like it.
Did his c-clip break? Or did the shaft break?
He was really stuck, in morning traffic.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
56 Posts
that really sucks!. I just wish I could have been there to see it. sounds like a great story but, I see one major flaw in the guy telling it to anyone. it happened on the street! not even from hitting the ditch or going through snow or even a small mud puddle.the street. the one place trucks are not supposed to break. sad.

------------------
80/82/83 minipickup. chev350, th350, toyota t-case. lock-rite front, lincoln in the back. 2 inch body lift, re-arched springs, rancho 5000's. dual exhaust, homemade box, dual tanks 33's since dp took my 35's, for now.oh yeah and four rusty rims.

·
Registered
412 Posts
190 Hp on a Dana 35 is not a good thing, should have told him about the explorer 8.8 swap. Makes me think back to when I was a teenager, lighting up tires with no idea how hard it was on the drivetrain. So lucky I didn't break anything in my parents cars. Of course I don't think I could spin the tires on pavement in my toy if I wanted to.

Mike.

------------------
FOR SALE:
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, 5.29's, new bearings, detroit rear, true trac front, allpro e brake, new 33's on 15x10 AR aluminums, front axle rebuild, bushwacker cut outs, locking tool box, extended shackles, SR5 buckets, lots of spare parts, email for pics.

·
1,269 Posts
Ahahahahahahahahaha I wish you had pictures!

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, I'm not jeep bashing here, I've seen some really well built jeeps, this just wasn't the most durable example.
Jon, he may still be there, you might see for yourself on the way home from work.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

G

·
Holy crap. I saw something similar in Prince George once. A guy with a built up chev 2wd put it to the floor and promptly destroyed his rear u-joint. Spinning driveshaft did a whole lot of damage to the underside of that truck before he could shut her down. Poor fellow, it was his dad's truck

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

[This message has been edited by NewToyo (edited March 07, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Man thats too funny i'm glad I had the toyota 8" when i did burnouts, but that was in gravel and in the mud, i'd never do that on the pavement though,

and this is why i'm NOT buying a J**P TO SMALL OF F/R ENDS

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by dp:

As he's turning the right axle starts coming out of the housing!!!
Then he pulls over to the curb and the axle that has broken bashes up over the curb, bending the housing.
I have never seen anything like it.
Did his c-clip break? Or did the shaft break?
He was really stuck, in morning traffic.
Serves him right, he sounds like an idiot.

Either the axle shaft snapped or the spider gears broke and dislodged the c-clip. I've had the pleasure of helping Jeepers fix these problems on four occassions.

If nothing else, it teaches you to respect your drivetrain. ;-)

The D35 and D35C axles are a serious weak point on Jeeps and is the first thing I'd replace if I bought one today. A Ford 8.8 is virtually bolt-in and plenty strong.

On my own Jeep, I swapped in Scout D44 axles and a transfer case from an older Jeep. Another option would be swapping in axles from a late model Jeep Wagoneer.

But the guy still sounds like an idiot. I would've laughed at him.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have noticed a lot of idiots like that around. They go out and buy 4x4's, lift it an inch or two and throw on all-terrains just to burn out everywhere. Theres some dolt with a dark blue Dakota here in Richmond that does the same thing. It's got a V8 so it has some balls but it has a winch and stuff so it's not "fast" but it has torque. Anyway he lays rubber in the following conditions 100 percent of the time: Rain, pouring rain, snow, dry, icy, tight corner, backing into parking space, coming out of parking space etc etc. He looks like such a fool all the time. The truck has never seen anything but pavement even though it has a winch and rope wrapped around the front of it.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Greg:
That's a sure sign of a pavement rig. Lordco should sell a "mud" spray-can, they'd make tons of cash.
Holy crap, that's funny! Even funnier because you're probably right.

As for the rope 'round the bumper look, that's one of my all time pet peeves.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the reason for wrapping rope around the front bumper?
Exta padding in case of collision?
Because it looks cool?

------------------

[This message has been edited by dp (edited March 07, 2002).]

·
Registered
297 Posts
Originally posted by lars:
Holy crap, that's funny! Even funnier because you're probably right.

As for the rope 'round the bumper look, that's one of my all time pet peeves.

...lars

How about your wire rope wrapped around your bumper because your winch solenoid pack melted?? They don't seem to like running under full load when they are underwater!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
i've actually seen a "pavement rig" in the form of a blue chevy blazer with "mud" painted on the lower halves of the fenders and doors

------------------
`80 ToyChoda
Big, blue and backfiring

·
1,269 Posts
I remember sitting at the bottom of Ledgeview one time and there's a big muddy puddle right at the bottom there. We had had a nice long day playing around on the trails and were just chatting it up when along comes this guy in a shiny red YJ with a mild susp. lift and some 33s, drives straight into the puddle, does a few donuts, then drives right out and off down the road.
Some people...

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts