BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motorized recreationists have been getting shafted for the past decade and more. Trail closure after trail closure. One of our biggest losses came when the dirt road network near Sooke, BC, was shut down, thanks to The Land Conservancy and the CRD. Now we finally have a chance to fight back. YOU CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!

READ THIS

Or you can skip my rant and go straight to the Facebook page for the South Island Motorized Recreation Advisory Council and become a fan. In short, more fans = a larger demonstration of support for motorized recreation around Sooke = more clout when it the motorized recreationists push for access into the Harbourview Rd and adjacent trail systems. For anyone who's unfamiliar with it, it is a FANTASTIC area for fourwheeling which the greenies have taken from us. Even more annoying is that it's been logged several times and is full of roads, so we're not talking about some conservancy project. This was a working forest and provided recreation for all sorts of British Columbians, including fishermen, campers, dirt bikers, and fourwheelers. Now they're trying to turn it into a preserve for hikers.

I strongly urge everyone to become a fan of that page. It takes maybe 2 seconds of your time and can make the difference between success and failure. The enviros will be starting up their media juggernaut so we need every vote we can get. DO NOT IGNORE THIS. This is the closest we've ever come to re-opening a significant fourwheeling area. Don't blow it by sitting on your ass and doing nothing.

After you become a fan of the SIMRAC page, you can go here to read more on what is happening around Sooke and their efforts to allow motorized vehicles back onto the trails: http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?...-Vancouver-Island-an-unbelievable-development

·
Registered
451 Posts
the thing most people dont realize about FSR's is that the forestry company is liable for the maintanance of the road. if there is a road that is not being used by them why should they be liable by it? the only way they can drop the liability is by demolishing it or making it impassable.

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI, here's a blurb from SIMRAC's page:
On March 17, 2010, following intensive lobby efforts, the CRD Regional Parks committee rejected the final parks management plan for the "Sea to Sea Regional Park," directing parks management to bring forward a plan including motorized recreation, and the South Island Motorized Recreation Council (SIMRAC) was born.

SIMRAC is made up of delegates from clubs, associations, and individuals interested in off-road recreation. It was formed to act as the official voice of motorized recreationists with a particular interest in the Sooke and Rural Resource Lands on south Vancouver Island. (read less)
On March 17, 2010, following intensive lobby efforts, the CRD Regional Parks committee rejected the final parks management plan for the "Sea to Sea Regional Park," directing parks management to bring forward a plan including motorized recreation, and the South Island Motorized Recreation Council (SIMRAC) was born.

SIMRAC is made up of delegates from clubs, associations, and individuals interested in off-road recreation. It was formed to act as the official voice of motorized recreationists... (read more)Mission:Our mission is to engage the municipal and CRD parks planners, environmental protection stakeholders, non-motorized recreation stakeholders, and other interested parties on behalf of all motorized recreationists that live in, or come to the area.

Our objective is to secure, designate, and manage recreational access to designated destinations such as the lakes, accessed by designated logging roads and trails traditionally enjoyed by off road recreationists.

The common ground we share with all of these stakeholders is that nobody wants the unmanaged free-for-all that is going on under current stewardship.
This is a very significant moment for fourwheelers and we've got to keep the ball rolling and not assume that other 'wheelers will provide enough support so YOU don't need to get involved. Everyone's support is necessary so please make SIMRAC's page a "fan page" and continue to support what they're doing through whatever means possible.

Everyone, please post to this thread after you've "become a fan" of SIMRAC's site so we can encourage everyone else on this board to do the same.

...lars

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
451 Posts
yeah we used to try to build mountain bike trails up ther ebut the hikers would go and destroy them, they said we where cutting down trees to build the latters, even with the lack of cut stumps, and the fact that every mountain biker who is activly involved in the community and partakes in trail maintance knows that all the wood is eather deadfall, or has been hauled in from a lumber yard knows that we dont cut down trees. i dont really blame the people for it, just there lack of knowledge on the subject and there unwillingness to learn. i really hope they open up the park to 4x4'ers again as im moving to the island for the summer and am not likeing the fact i may have to drive 2+ hours to go wheeling. PS nice vid, but i dont like the music...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
What road in Powell River?

This isn't just happening on the island although it is far more noticable over there as there is a shortage of places to go.

First there was the road they took out up in Powell River now the Garnet creek-harrison connector is now gone.

I suspect it only a matter of time before they pull back something like sylvester or any of the roads up chilliwack lake road...

from the quads.ca web site.
http://quads.ca/bb/posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=140942

·
Registered
120 Posts
Joined the Fan page good luck with the talks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Muchos Gracias for putting this up Lars :) We are probably as close to getting back in there as we ever will be (imho). The trick, if we DO get access, will be to keep it sane, respect the "others" around there to the nth degree, and keep the "heavy" wheeling to the beat up, clearcut, ugly areas elsewhere, lest we loose the prettiest wheeling on the island AGAIN.

Not sure if I can hold my breath long enough for the gates to come down but I'm sure gonna try ;0)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.