BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just interested in getting into a 4x4 club around here, nuthin major but i dunno, post em for me.

------------------
'88 xj, on 33's fun in the mud.

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
Originally posted by mud hound:
just interested in getting into a 4x4 club around here, nuthin major but i dunno, post em for me.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society
www.hot.alloffroad.com

We usually go wheeling 3 to 4 time every month. The club is based in Surrey.

------------------
Leo
...a member of the Herd of Turtles 4WD Society
www.hot.alloffroad.com

[This message has been edited by 1badfordtruck (edited November 05, 2001).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
High Country Explorers 4x4 Club.

We're based in Langley and members wheel about two or three times a month from easy logging roads to some fairly tough stuff( back side into McNutt).
Meet on the first Thursday of each month at Cruisers Pit Stop Diner in Langley, 7:30 pm.
Call me for more more info if you're interested. 604-583-9479

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Follow this link to our web site. It's a bit slow, but thankfully none of us are www.members.home.net/ichris4x4/index

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds sweet, i went to both yer sites, where do you both usually go to?? i'm also only 17, pretty new to the game, and might be a thorn to some adults. but uhh, ya.

------------------

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Both our clubs wheel in the same areas. I would say in the last 2 years we have been on many of the trails from Sooke (Van. Isl) to the Okanagan and from Prince George to Walker Valley (WA State).

We go "everywhere"

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
You should hold off on joining a club. Go to a few meeting and see which one you like. You should also just try going on the trips that people organize on this board. I think it is way better just to join the people on bc4x4.com. It's not a club so there are no fees and none of the polotics and crap like that. I haven't been wheeling for a long time(2 years), and I find the clubs don't provide me with any more trail fun than heading out with friends and/or people on the board.
I'm not trying to bash clubs and make them look like they are not worth joining. I just don't think it is worth it for a newbie to join a club right away.
just my $.02 worth

Jarett

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited November 06, 2001).]

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
Couple of pics of places we have been to this year.

Poison Mtn. (south Chilcotin) photo by Wes Rempel

Climb to the sky (Chilliwack)

Here is the link to some more pics I have taken on other trips this year.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1707837&f=0

------------------
Leo
www.hot.alloffroad.com

[This message has been edited by 1badfordtruck (edited November 06, 2001).]

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Originally posted by Jarett:
You should hold off on joining a club. Go to a few meeting and see which one you like. You should also just try going on the trips that people organize on this board. I think it is way better just to join the people on bc4x4.com. It's not a club so there are no fees and none of the polotics and crap like that. I haven't been wheeling for a long time(2 years), and I find the clubs don't provide me with any more trail fun than heading out with friends and/or people on the board.
I'm not trying to bash clubs and make them look like they are not worth joining. I just don't think it is worth it for a newbie to join a club right away.
just my $.02 worth

Jarett

On the contrary, I think that joining a club is one of the first and best things that you can do for our sport (as well as for you).

I would recommend that you look for a club that is a member of, and participates in, the Four Wheel Drive Association of BC, promotes the principles of "Tread Lightly" and is involved in the 4x4 community generally. You'll benefit from the collective "trail knowledge" of the club membership, have people who will be there for you when you're stuck on the trail or need repair/enhancement advice and you will add your voice/vote to 4-wheel drive lobby - and we NEED your voice(s)!........yours too, Jarett!

As Jarett says, don't jump in with both feet right away. Make sure that the club is 'right' for you by going on a couple fo runs and attending a club meeting or two.

The "fee" to join is usually a nominal annual sum; don't let that stop you. It's peanuts in comparison to the advice/help and often PARTS that you'll receive.

As for the "politics", they do exist, but for the most part you can ignore them....just like we do in real life.

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
Well said Dale. When I first got into the 4x4ing scene I wasn't too sure about joining a club either, but then I joined the Herd and now I'm having a lot fun. It was definitely worth it. It's also a great way to meet lot's of new people.

------------------
Leo
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx alot guys, i think i might for now just wait and do what jarett said, seems like a safe bet, and i don't want a comitment at all right now, i play Jr.B hockey and it takes up a bit of my time, so i hope to see you guys around sumtime, and i'll have to cum out with a few of you also!!

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I just read my post and I noticed that it really does sound like I am saying that newbies should join clubs...
sorry...All I was trying to say is that you should go to a few meetings and go on a run or two with some different clubs and decide which one will best suite you. Don't just joins the first club you find.
P.S. I am planning on joining a club in the near future. I just havent thought it would be all that usefull to me yet, because my truck is not currently in very good shape. I will be doing lots of work to it this year and with any luck It will be nice and happy and ready for the trails next summer.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Joining a club is not as simple as just paying up. The norm is that one must attend at least 2 runs and 2 meetings before being voted in (you pay up at this time). Each club may have specific requirements and variations of this though. The whole point of the 2&2 is to make sure you and the club fit eachother. As it is in neither of your best interested if it just does not work for both of you.

There is also a marked difference between a real society (aka club - persons who have gone though all the hoops to become a registered society) and those persons with just a name. Not saying there is anything bad with either, just that there is a marked difference.
First of all there is legitimacy, this is extremely important when dealing with gov't and other bodies. It also says you will be around tomorrow. Societies can acquire assets. Mine currently has an adjustable RTI ramp that will shortly have a trailer. We are also planning on acquiring a vehicle trailer (not that we trailer our trucks to the trail, just that on more than a few occassions they needed a trailer to get home). Plus whatever else we feel like. There are also liability concerns and being a registered society provides some protection.

An Association such as the 4WDABC www.4wdabc.ca is not a club but a gathering of clubs and individuals (persons not associated with a member club). Basically pay up and you are in.

Also as Dale mentioned the help received in putting your truck together, back together or just modifing it are huge. Spare parts and such are also generally had like Dale says for free or close to it when needed.
Then there are all the prizes. I joined the 4WDABC in 1998 and formed my club in 2000. In this time I have won enough stuff from both groups to fill the back of my Jeep. This list includes: hats, t-shirts, jacket jacks, tug straps, lights and the list goes on...

As for this BBS. It can be good and all for whatever, but the places to go wheeling are not being posted anymore due to the yahoo factor. It is unfortunate. Sure, Eagle and Stave are posted, but that is just 2 small places...

Perhaps I ramble too much. I have been around long enough to see both sides. For me the club experience has been much more rewarding.

Spend some time with Andy and the High Country Explorers and or with Leo and the Herd of Turtles. And what ever other clubs interest you. Find out what fits you best.

Wes
4WDABC Membership Coodinator
HOT4x4 Events Coordinator
Former HOT4x4 VP

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts