BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I'm in the market to buy myself a newer Fullsize truck and would like a little info on what I'm getting myself into. I've been driving a jeep for the past 5 years but was born in a Chev!!! and would like to go back to my roots.

I'm looking for a 94 to 98 3/4ton ext. Cab Long box 4x4. I would prefer a diesel but a gas will do and an automatic over a standard.

Anyway, What trannies(auto, std.) come in these years, what t/cases, and axles. Is there anything I should be on the look out for when looking for a deal. What are some of their problems, pros and cons, etc. What prices would I be looking to spend? Is there one option i should try and get over another?

Any help would be much appreciated.

THankx
Ryan

------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT

·
Registered
391 Posts
I dont know much about the diesels but in a gas burner you'd probably get a 4L80 tranny and a np241 tcase. The 3/4 tons came with a 14 bolt semifloater in the rear and corporate 8.25 IFS diff up front.Pros are fairly strong frame, TBI engine and roomy interior and a good body style. Cons are obviosly the IFS suspension and the cost of the lift kits for them, the ball joints and idler arms wear very quickly when modified and they require wheel alignments almost everytime you come back from wheelin (atleast thats my experience)if you go 3/4 the only traction adding device available for the front is a pricy ARB(nothing for the 1/2 tons)and there size on the trail, if your used to a jeep it could take a bit to get used to. If you leave it stock they're really dependable.You'll pay alot more for a diesel but in my opinion its worth it, my grandfather had a 6.5 turbodiesel version and it got nearly twice the mileage mine gets(sure, he drove like a grandpa...but still). Hope that helps

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankx, That does help.

This truck will just be the daily driver and tow rig for my jeep. It wont see much wheeling except for the camping trips which is just FSR at most. I will be lifting it though just because they are a little too low for my liking. I wont need any traction device for the front, but I will put something tame in the rear just because it will see a lot of highway driving and I dont need chirping tires.

I do like the diesels a lot more than the gas engines and that is why I am also looking at the Dodges as well. I am sorta shying away from the fords as I dont like their interior comfort. But I do like their engines as well

THankx
Ryan

------------------

·
Registered
79 Posts
Most of the Chevy's come with a gov-lock in the rear...it's no Detroit, but better than nothing.

Rene

------------------
God hates a coward!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am a GM tech and work on the 6.5 diesels alot (my specialty). Here is what I think, I would buy a Dodge. The truck is good but that Diesel leaves alot to be desired and everything costs more to replace ie. $300 for a pcv valve, $350 for a lift pump and the big enchilada $2500 for an injection pump (though there is an special policy around). I had a 94 1/2 4x4 with a 350 auto and it was great. I found long trips were ideal in this truck(I am 6'6" tall) and really miss it when it comes to road trips. Offroading was not bad but it is big and it takes more work to get around obsticals. I now have 90 4Runner and it is much better offroad but long trips are a pain and the fuel economy is as bad as a V8 but with out the power. As far as a full size truck goes I am biased towards chev but not when it comes to Diesel and I bet Dodge is probably better offroad. Just my $.02 worth.

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Tarzan:
I am a GM tech and work on the 6.5 diesels alot (my specialty). Here is what I think, I would buy a Dodge. The truck is good but that Diesel leaves alot to be desired and everything costs more to replace ie. $300 for a pcv valve, $350 for a lift pump and the big enchilada $2500 for an injection pump (though there is an special policy around). I had a 94 1/2 4x4 with a 350 auto and it was great. I found long trips were ideal in this truck(I am 6'6" tall) and really miss it when it comes to road trips. Offroading was not bad but it is big and it takes more work to get around obsticals. I now have 90 4Runner and it is much better offroad but long trips are a pain and the fuel economy is as bad as a V8 but with out the power. As far as a full size truck goes I am biased towards chev but not when it comes to Diesel and I bet Dodge is probably better offroad. Just my $.02 worth.

Thankx for reply. Thats kinda what I figured, I knew Dodge had a better diesel but wasnt all that impressed with their interior comforts. The majority of trucks I've been have been Chev and thats why I was leaning in that direction. And I myself am over 6' and the jeep is just a tad too small. So right now its a toss up between the dodge and the chev, and am kinda shying away from the ford. they all have their pros and cons its just a matter of figuring out which cons I can leave with and which ones I cant.

Ryan

------------------

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yep if you are over 6' tall a full size truck is the way to go. The only reason I have no input on Ford is that I have no real experience with them. I know that Chev and Dodge are very similar in their components and have even heard of guys swapping brake pads from one to another in a pinch. Good luck with the search, I am starting to think about looking for a 94 K5 2door Blazer. Full size Blazer 2door is not much larger than my 4Runner but has loads of room and power.

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts