BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another post of mine on used truck suggestions, I recieved some info on lockers. Can anyone fill me in a little more on the basics, or give me a link to a good overview article? I don't know too much about them other than what I was told in the other thread (general price for detroit locker). Are there many different brands/types with different advantages? Do lockers send power to both wheels all the time, or only when one wheel starts spinning?
I have heard a reference to 'air lockers', supposedly a type of locker that the driver can engage or disengage at will, does this exist, and for what kind of price? What sort of effect is there on normal highway handling?
My 4X4'ing is usually limited by traction, not clearance (lots of icy snow, Interior toothpaste mud, etc) so it seems that a locker would do more for me than suspension mods.

thanks and sorry for the loooong post...

kevin

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
a similar question has been asked before. Here is a link to it.
http://www.bc4x4.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000079.html

There are a few different brands. I think Detroit is the most popular. Lock-Rite is another popular brand. Lockers use gears to enguage instead of clutches like limated slips. This gives them the ability to completely lock the 2 axle shafts together. There are also gearless lockers, but I don't know anything about them. The Detroit is allways enguage except when cornering. On pavement there is enough resistance to allow the wheels to travel at different speeds, but if there is throttle applied it will lock up.

Air lockers are selectable. You decide when it is locked or un-locked. These are more like a spool than a locker. A spool will not allow any different wheel speed for cornering. Air lockers tend to be a lot more expensive, and are not as reliable as your typical detroit. there are air lines that can be snagged and cut, and also if the air compressor ever stops working you can't use your locker.

I have a detroit in my truck and quite like it. I don't notice it too much when driving on the streets. It is definately noisier than an open dif, but nothing that bothers me. I was quoted $1300 before installation when I was looking at replacing my limated slip. I went with a detroit and it cost 1300 after instalation and tax.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN :(
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Registered
453 Posts
hey buckley, what do you drive???? where do you like to 4x4 around our area?? who do you usually wheel with?

------------------
Project MudhuckerII is now underway and movin ahead

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mudhucker,
if you work at the fountain tire on battle st, then you saw my 92 Mazda in your shop today, the one that needs the new ball joint and control arm.

My 4 wheeling is done mostly for getting into my hunting spots or general exploring, I don't do anything too hard core.

Tentatively looking for an old Toy or nissan that looks ugly...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Cool i'm the guy with the small tattoo down my forearm. I own the blue, white and black full size blazer out front. Sux the mazda needs front end work cause i'm planning on going out 4x4in on sunday after i install the 4in lift tomorrow. If you or any of your friends want a set of BFG all terrains at 60% tread i'm selling the ones off my blazer for $200. see ya when you get the front end work done. You should come out with me and some friends sometime, we don't do anything too crazy my friends stocker 83 ranger with 235 muds keeps up fine and last year the infamous black toyota kept up with bald 31's

------------------
Project MudhuckerII is now underway and movin ahead

[This message has been edited by Mudhucker (edited March 08, 2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts