BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at winches for my truck and am doing lots of reading. I have some questions perhaps some may quicken my learning curve a bit.

My needs are to winch myself out when I am loaded with camping gear and family. I am not a rock climber.. yet
but don't want to get stuck with my cursed open diffs in a mud hole 10 feet long.

What winch "Ramsey, Warn etc" would be suitable for my truck. I have a Smitty Winch Bumper with stock toy wiring. Can I get a good enough winch without having to buy the HD alternator etc. Or since I have to spend the money anyways do I bite the bullet, upgrade my wiring, and buy a decent winch.

What other condiration should I be aware of? Worm, Planetary or Hydrolic? Reverse mountable worth the hassel?

Thanks

Any good websites? I have found
http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/faqs/winches.html

------------------
Pony
90 4Runner 22RE 3" Body Lift 33's
And cool looking, inexpensive fender flares thanks to Greg's tip :)

"Nobody realizes that some people
expend tremendous energy
merely to be normal." ~ Albert Camus

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I think there isn't too much difference in quality between brands lik Warn and Ramsy. It comes down to personal prefference. No matter what brand you go with, get one that can pull at least 1.5 times the weight of your truck(with gear and family in it). I don't know anything about the toy electrical system, so I can't really coment on the alternator.

For the decision between electric and hydrolic, you have to decide what features are most important to you. Electric winches can't be run continually for as long as a hydraulic winch. To run a hydraulic winch the engine must be running so if your truck dies your winch is useless. an electric can be run off the battery.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN :(
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Registered
358 Posts
My friend and I were having the argument, electric or hydrolic.
The argument ended 2 weeks later when I hydrolocked my enging in a mud hole. I winched myself out, looked at him and said now what if I had a hydrolic.

------------------
'94 XJ - 3" RE lift, 31 Big O XT
'97 F250 HD 5" custom lift, 33" BFG AT

·
Registered
802 Posts
You could have an electric pump which pumps the fluid through the hydraulic winch. Then you wouldn't have to have your engine running, and you'd still have the duty cycle of the hydraulic. However, Todd who used to be at NSOR said the line speed of a hydraulic is really slow.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
not that electric winches are much faster. If you are looking for a winch with a high line speed get a PTO winch.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN :(
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would reccomend a Warn M8000. This winch is cheap(800 bucks on sale) and your toy electrical system should handle it just fine. Mine has had no problems pulling jeeps outta difficult situations and I am sure it would pull my Toy out as well.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by chris:
I would reccomend a Warn M8000. This winch is cheap(800 bucks on sale) and your toy electrical system should handle it just fine.
I agree. A bigger amp will recharge your battery quicker but it will in no way be enough to power even a 4000 lb winch if the battery is drained. I think at near stall, an 8000 lb winch draws about 800 amps or something like that.

In any case, you won't _need_ a HD alternator. Also, you don't need the fastest winch or the strongest. If it is purely for emergencies, pretty much any electric winch with a rating for 8000 lbs will do the job for you. Also keep a snatch block and some chain and a tree saver with you. That way you can use the snatch block to double the line back to your truck to get close to double the pulling power. You also put less stress on your winch this way.

If you buy Ramsey, I'd opt for the Pro series which has the series-wound motors instead of the less expensive models which have the permanent magnet motors. The series-wound units can handle excessive heat better but no matter which you buy, you want to avoid getting your electric winch hot. If it starts to get hot, stop winching and let it cool down.

I'd be just as happy with a Ramsey Pro or with an equivalent Warn. They're both good winch manufacturers.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info Lars, I need down to earth info as I only need a "rescue" winch and if I am stuck to my floors is muck then I'll use such tools as a snatch block etc.

What would your suggested winches do to my stock wiring? Can it handle the amps? Will my engine power the winch without burden? How about just a battery, ie if my engine is stalled or
hydrolocked?

------------------
Pony
90 4Runner 22RE 3" Body Lift 33's
And cool looking, inexpensive fender flares thanks to Greg's tip :)

"Nobody realizes that some people
expend tremendous energy
merely to be normal." ~ Albert Camus

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by pony:
Great info Lars, I need down to earth info as I only need a "rescue" winch and if I am stuck to my floors is muck then I'll use such tools as a snatch block etc.
And don't forget the always useful shovel and Jackall...and a wooden base for the Jackall if you're working on soft ground.

What would your suggested winches do to my stock wiring? Can it handle the amps? Will my engine power the winch without burden? How about just a battery, ie if my engine is stalled or hydrolocked?
Stock wiring doesn't need to be modified. Winches generally come with proper gauge + and - cables which you should run straight to your battery. Don't rely on the vehicle ground. The winch cable is much better gauge than the little ground strap that goes to your battery.

Remember, your battery powers your winch, not your alt. Your alt only recharges the battery. Basically, if you have a weak alt, you'll have to wait longer to recharge the battery. Bringing the rpms up a little will speed the charging time.

If you have no engine power AND you're stuck, the winch might not get you out since it will draw a lot of load. If you're not stuck then odds are that the winch will get you out. So, if you engine dies will crossing a creek or climbing up a steep hill, you could probably winch your way out as long as it's not too far. If your engine dies in the middle of a bog, odds are you won't be able to pull yourself far enough to get all the way out.

Dual batteries are a nice option so you can use one battery to power the winch and if you kill that battery, you still have the other one to start your engine and recharge the dead battery.

An alternative is to keep one of those portable battery packs with you so you can restart your engine.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
32 Posts
one thing to keep in mind is that the bigger the winch the less amps it draws to pull the same wieght for example the m6000 needs 360amps to pull 4000lbs while the xd9000 only needs 225amps for the same pull or about 37% less power

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey man, i have the exact same truck as you, minus the 22R thankfully. i have a Warn 9000lb winch all ready to bolt into the custom ARB bull bars that i am having fabed up in the near future.
i hounestly dont know alot about the ramsey or super winches, but from what i have heard, i would go with a warn. they are strong, reliable and popular. Have Fun

------------------
Currently building up my 1990 4runner / 33"x12"s 3" body lift 9000LB warn ready to bolt on, and looking for suspention lift...?anybody?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.