BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went to try on my new swampers to check for clearance so i could start chopping the fenders..and i realized that at some point in the past couple of months i've lost my wheel lock key and i have NO idea where it is.

anyways. i'm having them chisled off tommorow morning at 9am. i tried all kinds of stuff, cut into them with a cutting disc, used vice grips, chisels etc. etc. it got pretty frustrating. anyone have any practical solutions that involve only the most basic of tools? i don't want to go through this again. now i know why no one ever bothered to try and steal my rims.

------------------
Jeep. It's what's for dinner.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i think the best solution that i've been unable to try is the weld-a-bolt-to-the-lug trick, but that's because i have no welder.

------------------
Jeep. It's what's for dinner.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by kissmyaxle:
i think the best solution that i've been unable to try is the weld-a-bolt-to-the-lug trick, but that's because i have no welder.
A 12-point socket that just barely fits on the lock and an impact driver often works.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Registered
183 Posts
a lot of tire places or tire tow truck place have a special lock thing that they hammer on and lossen it off.. that works good.. or just take it to a welding shop and get them to weld a nut on each and loosen it off like said earlier thats a pretty easy way and cheap no CHISELING..

------------------
81 3/4 ton chevy w/ 7" susp lift & 3" body lift
NEW 35" mud-terrains, pro-comp off-road lights
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
<SPORTIN A CHEVY> <BeCaUsE Im SiLlY lIkE tHaT!!!>

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I have a tapered socket thingy meant for just that purpose. You hammer it on tight, then you can loosen it.

Usually it get stuck on one of them and you can't get the locking lug back out and you have to go buy a new tool.

Had a few where we billed the customer for the tool because of that.

------------------
Dan
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
ok,i bought a sammy and on my very first outing(same day) i got a flat tire tryin to go through a deep puddle.no big deal i have a spare mounted on the back! no key for wheel locks but have tool box,hmmmm,flat bastard file and cresent wrench,hmmmm yup it took a while but it worked! at home you take your trusty 4.5 in. angle grinder and grind flat spots one the locks then use the wrench to remove. ps don't tell anybody this cause i wouldn't want thisto get out!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Theres a tool called a nut splitter. I've seen them at Cambodian tire. You slide it over the nut, it has a part that you tighten with a wrench and it splits the nut in half. They werent very expensive only around 10-15 bux.

------------------
88 XJ "rollin in my 4.0 with the window down so my hair can blow."
www.teamrush.web.com

·
Registered
539 Posts
take a lead pipe that bearly DOESN'T fit on the bolt, hammer that puppy on with a 5 pound sledge turn the pipe.

tada!

------------------
BIG ASS black/chromed YJ, 11" lift 35" tires, 400hp corvett engine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.