BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting a cherokee for off road that will only be used maybe2 days a month. I talked to the insurance lady today and she told me the best thing to do was storage insurance and day permits.

I asked her if off road upgrades I put on would be covered and she said as long as I had proof in the form of receipts and photos I would be fine, Is this really the case? if the cherokee has a book value of $1000 for example and I have receipts for $5000 in parts such as winch lift bumpers etc would I be fully covered in the event of fire theft etc? isnt the insurance cost based on the value of the vehicle?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
they won't cover you for you for the full cost of what you paid for the stuff. they will figure a current market value for the winch, lift bumper etc.

if something happens to the whole thing they will probably find another cherokee for sale with a lift winch and bumpers and say yours is worth the same as that.

you are covered.... kind of.... but not really.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
This can be sticky. We thought it would be a good idea to have our rigs appraised for all the upgrades and such. My Comanche is worth what, $500 - $1,000 book value? I've sunk more than $30,000 into plus all my time.

Thankfully I didn't get mine done because my buddy got his YJ appraised for selling price of $35,000 and replacement of $45,000. His insurance company dropped him and couldn't find one to cover it. When he did, they wanted a small fortune to insure it. Same deal with a muscle car another guy brought up from the US.

I realize your probably not going to get that extreme, but, what the hey, just my 2 cents.

ICBC does take into account everything done to a vehicle but just like any other company they are not going to give you full value of what you think it's worth.

I just keep mine indoors and have a real big fire ext. on board. Oh, and all my receipts.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
just goes to show that you can't win when it comes to insurance.

insurance comanies generally don't differentiate between a warn winch and a champion winch or a rubicon express lift kit vs. a rough country kit.

it depends on the insurance adjuster you get too. i've had an estimator look under my truck after an accident and found some mud caked in around the frame and body. he classified it as an "off-road beater" so all damage to the truck was due to off-roading. they refused to replace my bumpers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I built a Cherokee once upon a time and shortly after it was done a drunk totaled it. I am talking with ICBC about a settlement and they really lowball me. I say what about the brand new BFG AT tires and rims? ICBC says tires are tires and rims are rims. I say what about the Kenwood system? ICBC says a cd player is a cd player. I say what about the control arms and lift? ICBC says suspension is suspension. I went on and on about every aftermarket item and they had the same answer every time. 4,000 take it or go to arbitration. I was writing down everything during the meeting because I knew I was in for a fight.

I told them not settling and had my Cherokee towed home.

I stripped every single usable part off that Cherokee and replaced it with absolute crap, like bald tires, worn busted suspension, threw a busted cd player on the seat etc. you get the picture.

A few days later they call me on a Friday afternoon and again it's 4,000 best we can do. I tell them if you have a cheque ready in an hour we have a deal. ICBC is happy with that and I pick up my cheque at around 2:00, I get a call again from ICBC around 4:00 and they are pissed, this is not the same Jeep they say. I remind them of thier policy regarding aftermarket items and quote the adjusters answers back to him and ask him just exactly what the problem is? The adjuster couldn't answer that one.

In the end I kept all my aftermarket stuff and got 4,000 for a Cherokee purchased at auction for 1,500.

The moral of the story is: you need to be just as dirty as they are whan it comes to a claim.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hopefully I never have it stolen, It will be stored outside but I am planning on taking out a few critical pieces it needs to run when its not being driven for a few days and also installing a hidden ignition switch, just want to be prepared is all,
I understand for high value rigs it may cost way to much to insure it for a value such as $40 000 but would it still be outrageous to insure a cherokee for a more reasonable amount such as 7500 or so?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
you can buy additional upgrade insurance for something like $50/year but it's generally supposed to be for upgrades exceeding the $5000 that your basic insurance is supposed to cover.

even if you insure it for $7500 total value they could still give you the run around. it's all going to depend on the adjuster and estimator you get.

it's not just a matter of it getting stolen too. if it's parked near your house or your neighbour's house and a fire happens then it could get toasted.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anther insurance question. I was out looking at a jeep tonight but it has expired tags on it. Someone told me my insurance will cover me when I am test driving a vehicle, is this true? if so do I just have to have my proof of insurance with me or what?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
i don't think so. if you transfer your vehicle out of your name to someone else then you can use your plates and insurance on another vehicle for 10 days. you need to carry the completed transfer papers around with you. you will also need to get the owner of the vehicle you are buying to fill out a transfer paper to transfer it to you.

it's under $30 for a day of insurance which would be easier than filling out a bunch of transfer papers.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
is the owner claiming it will pass? tell him to insure it on saturday morning, aircare it and then you will come and take it for test drive.

leave him a $200 deposit with a receipt saying subject to aircare and a test drive. if he's not willing to do this then there is a problem with it and he is just not willing to sell it. with the economy the way it is right now, it's not easy to sell stuff like vehicles. if he won't put any effort into selling it then walk away.

it might help if you offer to pay him more than the nogotiated price to cover aircare and insurance but i would throw that in if he's reluctant. if he still doesn't go for it then you are dealing with a lemon.

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
If it doesn't have valid insurance on it, then it doesn't have valid insurance on it. If you drive it on private property, then you don't face a fine for driving a vehicle without insurance, but if you end up being found liable for any damage (injury or property), it's coming out of your pocket.

Steve's suggestion of having the vendor put some insurance on it (as they're the only ones who can) so that they can sell it - ie: you can get it inspected, take it for a test drive, etc. is the route to go.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok well there is no way I am paying more thank 75% of the asking price on it as the rear leafs are broken and the tires sit tucked way up in the back, its still drivable but needs immediate work. I have no problem paying for aircare and the day permit if it passes. he says it should pass but its from the island so its never had aircare. its been sitting for about a month since insurance ran out and when he started it up there wasnt any more smoke than normal so I am thinking it will be ok.

·
Registered
521 Posts
anther insurance question. I was out looking at a jeep tonight but it has expired tags on it. Someone told me my insurance will cover me when I am test driving a vehicle, is this true? if so do I just have to have my proof of insurance with me or what?

Not a chance. Its the insurance on the vehicle that your driving at the moment of the crash that covers you. Expired? too bad. ICBC is NOT generous.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Do not make the assumption that an admirably running vehicle will pass. . . My 1994 Dakota runs like a dream but absolutely will not pass Aircare just because of the N0x rating. Unless you feel like jumping through one of the many loopholes, I'd make the owner get the Aircare done. If it fails it'll be worth the $70 to avoid buying something that needs emissions work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.