BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be buying some 37"x12.5" tires for my JK soon. Road manners is not a concern as I have a set of pavement wheels/tires that I commute with. I won't be using bead locks, so I probably won't be going below 5psi in the snow.

Ive seen the pitbulls work well in slushy/semi deep snow on wil's rig, but I can't run a 42" tire. I've seen the intercos work not so well in deep powdery snow, but these were only 33" tall and running 30psi.

I have a feeling that the pitbulls are going to work better in rocks, mud, clay-dirt etc, and deep snow, while the intercos would work better in light icy snow or packed snow due to the siping. The pitbulls have a much more spaced out lug patter that I think would clear better when in conditions where they can dig in.

So, can anyone offer experience with either tire in a similar size ? 33's are a bit small for snow wheeling, I assume the 37's will barely cut it, but that's all I can really go for without spending $$$ on bigger axle setups.

·
Registered
360 Posts
No experience with the pitbulls, but I run 33" Trxus MT tires.

My tire size is a bit small for deep snow wheeling but all snow that I have encountered has been very managable below 15 PSI weather its powder, packed, or slushy.

The tires also perform well in wet rocky or woody conditions with their siping. In dry weather, these tires are like glue on every obstacle I have faced.

But like I said, I have no clue how pitbulls perform in the same instances so. Overall, I think my tires were a good buy.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I actually have a set of both in 37x12.50R15 (FYI Wils are Bias ply)

I have done very well in deep snow with the Trxus. They are quiet and stick to everything. A great all round tire.

The Rocker Radials are a different animal. I bought them via a factory one time only pre-buy last December before they were even in the PB warehouse. Great price and hoped they would do well. Have not had them in snow, but everything else they have done very well in. Compared to the Trxus, they have little lateral stability on the highway. I find the Jeep 4wheel drifts in the faster corners. Their open lug design does produce a low howel to a good low hum at 80+kmh. The big lugs also grab alot of air, I do notice a decent power loss on the highway as compared to the Trxus. I am down a gear and have the foot to the floor to maintain speed on some hills compared to the Trxus. Milage is worse too. Otherwise, they just destroy whatever obstacle you run into. Depends on what you need them to do. Swapping 37" tires back and forth really does SUCK! But I am getting pretty good at it now :)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I can't speak for the smaller size, except that a guy in our club got a set of 37" rockers bias and hated them and got a set of 37" Maddog? radials (the mud tire, not allterrain, I get them and the Growler mixed up). He sold them to another guy who said, ya they are out of round, but beats his Fun Country's hands down in snow, mud etc.

I've seen them work well in 37" size in dry powdery snow, with the hammer down.

But, I've also seen the Irocs work very well in winter wheeling. There was a Bronco II that fallowed the best of us with 36" almost bald Irocs on the weekend.

Tough decision, but after what I've seen the Rockers do this winter, not only on my rig but other aswell, I'm preaching them HUGE.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
37" Bias Rockers and 37" Radial Rockers are quite different. The radials appear to have a more open void tread block and are alot taller and narrower than a Bias. The radial is a true 37x12.50, where as the Bias was a more 35.5"x 15 wide tire.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've been thrilled with my Trxus, great all around tire, did awsome for me in the snow. That being said I would say one of their advantages would be their great street manners, not loud, good rain performance etc. If your looking for trail only tires, I'm sure other more aggressive tires will do better in on the trails/snow. The tread pattern on the Trxus is tighter than most mud tires, not that dictates everything.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've been thrilled with my Trxus, great all around tire, did awsome for me in the snow. That being said I would say one of their advantages would be their great street manners, not loud, good rain performance etc. If your looking for trail only tires, I'm sure other more aggressive tires will do better in on the trails/snow. The tread pattern on the Trxus is tighter than most mud tires, not that dictates everything.
But speaking of the tighter tread pattern on the TrXus and being in snow, I do find that the pattern they have self cleans very well. I concur: great all round tire that is more than capable for any trail I can think of.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
for those that have run the trxus for a considerable amount of time on a DD...what kind of wear are you getting out of them?
My 37s are wearing pretty good. I am approaching 50k km on them and they still have well over 50% tread left.

But they are a soft compound compared to most tires. On a heavy vehicle, such as a full size, you will burn though them much faster.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are you re-gearing your axles to? Its alot of rubber to move...
5.13:1 gears, extra transmission cooler and C-Gussets on the steering axle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
where do I buy a good priced set of 35x12.5x15 truxus m/t's? nsor can't get any, and BCC wants $400 a tire and a month or 2 wait. kal tire wants $350 a tire and also has to order them in...

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
if these were made at the Denman factory in the US, then you are SOL unless someone has them on the shelf. May be some time before the moulds are moved to a new facility for production. If you do a google search, you will find the info. At the time it was 6-18 month before some may go back into production

Try National4wd, that may be your only possible alternate left in Canada. Otherwise, try Quadratec, 4WD.com and 4Wheelparts.com in the US.

but if they don't have on the shelf, its going to be a wait. Supplies may be getting low as the Denman issue is months old now and I have not seen any updates to solutions...

good luck

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
My 37s are wearing pretty good. I am approaching 50k km on them and they still have well over 50% tread left.

But they are a soft compound compared to most tires. On a heavy vehicle, such as a full size, you will burn though them much faster.
so...not recommended on a 5500+ AWD suv then? how long for you to hit the 50K? if i can get 3 years on em and still have 50%, id be happy. im looking at the trxus since they (interco) are the only ones that have a true 35" tire for a 16" rim.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.