BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
want a landcruiser FJ40 with the 2h diesel engine was worth if that is possible not sure if they came with that
75 or newer want disc brakes up front
needs to have awsome frame and descent mechanicaly etc. don't need good body want to go aluminium was wondering cost of the new body and this land cruiser and if anyone has any thing to say good or bad about aluminium tubs and front fenders

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think you mean 2F, thats the gas six.
If you want a diesel, it will be a 4 cyl, B or 3B.
12th month of 76 and later had discs, 75 and later had 4-speed trannys though.
Be prepared ti spend money on an aluminum body.
Check out Aqualu Ind. web stite for prices.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

[This message has been edited by dp (edited January 16, 2002).]

·
Registered
163 Posts
well the beast yer talking about would be a bj40 or 42. a bj 40 is just an fj with the "b" series diesel engine. has the same frame as an fj, is the same in most every way cept for the diesel and the fact it will be 24volts.
if you can I would go for a 42, a slightly beefier frame and a 3b diesel, which is what replaced the old b.
getting parts for a b diesel is not easy, in order to get a waterpump I would have had to send it away to get rebuilt and wait a week to get it back. toyota doesn't even make rebuild parts for them any more. but still an incredibly reliable engine , had one for years and in that time it didn't have one hiccup.
but the 3b's are everywhere. tons of torque, 30 mpg and run forever. plus parts are way easier to get.
if youre really lucky you can find one with an h55f 5 speed which is nice. has a lower 1st gear and an overdrive but don't think that was an option till 83 or 84.
there are quite a few fj40's that have been converted to diesel with the 3b around so maybe you can find one of them. good relieable trucks tho.
as to the aqualu tubs, the new ones are damn near works of art, it's getting hard to tell that there's even an aftermarket tub on a cruiser, when it's painted, but be prepared to fork out ove 3g's for one.
which if you find a rusted out bj for a couple grand may not be too bad.
(or if you get to the point where youre so sick of rust you'll do anything to avoid it

well there's some info for you anyways.
cheers,
ryan
multi year bj40/42

------------------
nothin that works

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replys i was looking at kodiak conversions nice red cruiser with the aluminium tub it lookes beautiful. it's either a land cruiser or a landrover defender 90 for me wondering how much one of the landcruisers above would cost one with descent mechanics and awsome frame and see thru tub

1 - 4 of 4 Posts