BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one ever heard of using an old fire extinguisher tank in an onboard air system to act as the air tank. because i believe they can handle over 130 psi ?????? is this correct????
since im cheep right now at this point to buy a tank from somewhere, i could use an old extinguisher tank and machine a fitting to put on the end of it for the hoses etc etc...

does any one think thats a good idea or a crap one

------------------
78FJ40 w/ chev V8 etc etc etc....

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I don't think you would get enough volume out of it to be worth the trouble.
I'm going to get one of those powertanks though. They are filled with Co2 and you can fill 30 or 40 tires with one bottle of gas, which would cost about 15 bucks to fill.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much is a power tank???? where do you get them???
the extinguisher i was mabey gonna use is aprox. 8 inches in diameter and just under 2 feet long
do you think its still too small or ok to use

------------------

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a (Poguebilt) powertank... it works awesoem and I have ever ran power tools from it! It fills lots of tires and I have used it to reseat beads on tires etc. I totaly recomend one!

------------------
Poguebilt Toys..... A new breed of Toyota Perfection.
1986 Toyota pickup solid axle conv. 5" susp. 3"body 36" tslsx siped, 5.29's, K&N
spool rear, detroit front, 5012's, 44044's, 4cyl bored, balanced, Doug thorley header, flowmaster muffler, OTT crossover steering , u-bolt flip F/R, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

·
Registered
297 Posts
Most Fire Extinguisher tanks are certified and hydrotested to 400 psi. Should be safe for your use, and I hope it is because it is what i use on mine(nice stainless tank for free, where can you go wrong?)good size to use sounds like it should be about 0.7 CFM.

·
1,269 Posts
Hey Jay you never showed me that when you were out. How much for a Poguebuilt powertank?

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
32 Posts
The tank will hold the pressure without a problem, but hope you can make a hell of a home job fitting to hold the pressure.

------------------
If it does'nt fit... wiggle it a bit

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Is someone out west making Co2 tanks for off road use?
Because I'd rather buy in Canada than the U.S.
I'd like to make my own ,but every time I go to a welding shop and ask if they can get me a high flow Co2 regulator they look at me as if I was from another planet.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, extended shackles, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all of your imput, much appreciated.
i should be able to make a pretty damn good fitting for the end of the tank. i work in a machine shop so that should definately help me out.
thanks again

cheers

------------------

·
Registered
389 Posts
if it a big tank yes it will work,and from what i have read so far ,use it its the same as the power tank,if im correct

Originally posted by matthew:
has any one ever heard of using an old fire extinguisher tank in an onboard air system to act as the air tank. because i believe they can handle over 130 psi ?????? is this correct????
since im cheep right now at this point to buy a tank from somewhere, i could use an old extinguisher tank and machine a fitting to put on the end of it for the hoses etc etc...

does any one think thats a good idea or a crap one

------------------
"4x4s eat MORE BUSH!!!"

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
I don't think a home-made fitting is required. A friend of mine made a CO2 tank out of a fire extinguisher. Never bothered to get the details, though.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts