BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get invoice costs on new Chev and Ford Pickups? My buddy is looking for a new 3/4 ton ext. cab and wants to know how much over invoice he should pay. I paid $800 over invoice for my Dakota. That seems fair to me.

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
I ask the dealer to show me their invoice for the purchase of the vehicle. I tell them up front that I intend to be fair with them with the purchase price. $800 over invoice is extremely fair - most vehicle sales will result in an incentive bonus for the dealership (varies by model, sales etc), so even paying flat invoice price is sometimes worth their while.

If the dealer you're going to refuses to show you their invoice (and give you a copy as part of the purchase - hate to say it, but some have been known to keep false copies of invoices just for this purpose) then go to somebody else. Of course, you want to make sure that you've "prepared" the salesman (and sales manager) for your request to have a copy of the invoice as part of your purchase agreement - it helps if you have your financing in place and are literally prepared to pay "cash" to the dealership. When they see that you're serious about a sale, and serious about your perception of what's fair, you can usually get them to come round to your way of thinking.

It should be noted that I dropped a bottle of Crown Royal off for the sales manager who I dealt with after my purchase - just to sow the seed for "next time" (and I, of course, made him aware that there would be a "next time" prior to closing the deal - it's always worth a few bucks!).

Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I may be able to shed some inside information on the subject. So you know that this isn't worthless rambling, I will qualify by saying that I have been in car sales in various dealerships for 5 years.

quote:
I ask the dealer to show me their invoice for the purchase of the vehicle. I tell them up front that I intend to be fair with them with the purchase price. $800 over invoice is extremely fair - most vehicle sales will result in an incentive bonus for the dealership (varies by model, sales etc), so even paying flat invoice price is sometimes worth their while.

This is for the most part accurate, except I think that to really be fair you have to look at the price of the vehicle too. Most of you probably wouldn't have $40,000 tied up for 6 months for only an $800 return( a whoppin .02% return) However, some manufacturers (most in fact) do have a "holdback" that the dealer gets back after the unit is sold. For this type of vehicle it is probably around $2-3000 depending on the time of year, and how many "red ones" the manufacturer has sitting in the yard.

Keep in mind that the invoice will have gst on it, which the dealer gets back also. One of the oldest tricks in the book is to get the invoice price from the consumer and *bammo* a 7% profit+ any holdback. That could be like $5-6000 or more on a $40000 truck.

quote:
If the dealer you're going to refuses to show you their invoice (and give you a copy as part of the purchase - hate to say it, but some have been known to keep false copies of invoices just for this purpose) then go to somebody else.

This is a bunch of malarky- no dealer would ever bother undertaking so much work just to decieve one person- large stores would need an employee full time just to do this one task. This is one of those ones left over from 30 years ago, when there was much less regulation. Its ironic that in the 5 years I have been selling, no one has EVER asked to see invoice, in fact I have offered it about 4 times in cases where traditional negotiation has broken down, and the consumer is stuck on a number that is lower than cost- no takers.

quote:
- it helps if you have your financing in place and are literally prepared to pay "cash" to the dealership

Actually, thats a little silly. The only way you will get a lower cash price is if the current financing is subvented by the manufacturer- in other words the manufacturer pays the finance company to offer the customer a lower than prime rate- pretty much anything under 4-5% is subvented. But before you get all carried away trying to pry money away from the dealer think about what is best for you. If you are buying any kind of new vehicle it is ALWAYS a better deal to take the subvented financing rather than paying 9.5-11% or more at the bank. In the case of a 4wd truck, you could probably save somewhere in the area of $4000 or more in interest by taking the financing deal. In cases where the dealer sets up bank financing for you, he will probably make a flat fee from the bank, and you will probably get a lower rate than your bank will offer.

One final note, it is nice to see that there are people that don't begrudge the dealership for making any money, but you also have to make a distinction between COST and INVOICE. Cost is all the things that vehicle will cost and that involves things like shipping, pre-delivery(allthough some manufaturers pay that), detailing, fuel(on average, so you can test drive) interest payments, advertising etc., but back of any holdback. This can easily be $500-1000 more than invoice, and all are legitimate costs to doing business with you. If you want a selection of units to choose from, and a dealer to go back to for service, they simply have to make money.

My advice is to hit the internet and get 3 or 4 quotes from out of town dealers on the exact same truck but buy your truck locally- they will usually come real close to matching the price ( beware of salesman that "dangle the carrot" with what appears to be a low number but dosen't include things like freight, PDI etc just to get you in the door)

Or you could just skip all that and wait untill Saturn makes a pick up!

Try to guess who I work for;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wow.

On all of the car/truck boards that i've read, this has been the most intellegent discussion on this topic BY FAR. I'm a former Toyota dealer, and have always spent time banging my head against a wall trying to get people to understand how things REALLY work.

I also had never had to pull out an invoice, or even offer, because, like Breather said, people walk in with an unrealistic number in their head.

On a typical new vehicle, the minimum you can get away with paying is Invoice + PDI/Freight + 'Pack" (Term varies by dealer, but includes detailing, fuel, admin costs... usually about $750 on a new import) + Taxes. A/C and Doc fees are seperate, as those aren't negotiated by the salesperson, but the business manager.

Also, keep in mind that domestics have a larger profit margin than imports.... which many first time import buyers usually don't believe.

Of course, we still haven't answered your question. When I was at Toyota, we had a computer program that had all of the MSRPs and invoice prices for every manufacturer in it.May be possible to find a site that could supply the same info... Carpoint.ca?

Cheers!
:beer
:canadian

·
Registered
55 Posts
stihl036 said:
Does anyone know where I can get invoice costs on new Chev and Ford Pickups? My buddy is looking for a new 3/4 ton ext. cab and wants to know how much over invoice he should pay. I paid $800 over invoice for my Dakota. That seems fair to me.
Try http://www.carcostcanada.com I did, and it saved me a bundle. FYI, no local dealer would give me the deal that I wanted, and expected, and considered fair. I didn't ask for invoice prices, I had them. So I went to a broker, and his quote (calculated from costs up, not MSRP down) was within $50 of the # I had in my mind, so I was happy, and the truck was ordered.

--Rob (loves his Duramax)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts