BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You can get clamps that are made for this. They are not quite round so when you tighten up the bolts it really grabs it gooder. No you shouldn't weld any thing to your steering components.

As to the legality of hydro asssist, I dunno. Depends on the authority figure looking at it I guess. I dont see a problem with it as all the mechanical linkages are in place. Hopefully you are upgrading your stock stuff as hydro assist will bend stuff real easy.

·
Registered
945 Posts
hmm i think ill just weld to it and get another tie rod to throw in if i get a VI
Until the welded tie rod fails and you kill someone. What if the weld causes the tie rod to fail?

Just find a tie rod that has an extra attachment point for a stablizer or something. If your going to do it, do it right. I never understand why people try to get around logical safety rules? Or why I have to drive down the highway beside vehicles that are changed to pass VI's.

Not welding to steering seems logical given anyone can make a nice looking weld with a mig.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Until the welded tie rod fails and you kill someone. What if the weld causes the tie rod to fail?

Just find a tie rod that has an extra attachment point for a stablizer or something. If your going to do it, do it right. I never understand why people try to get around logical safety rules? Or why I have to drive down the highway beside vehicles that are changed to pass VI's.

Not welding to steering seems logical given anyone can make a nice looking weld with a mig.
whats gona fail??? the mount tab for the ram at the tie rod, if that happens the ram becomes detacted from the tie rod, the tie rod isnt stock its upgraded FJ80 highsteer i dont see how welding to it would weaken it that much, besides where could you even find a tie rod with an extra attachment?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Welding makes heat, changes metal properties.

When I did my steering I borrowed the tie rod book at Lordco and look through until I found a set of tie rods that did what I wanted. Then ordered them in and made sure they worked for me.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
You could drive a tractor trailer throught that grey area :D

Can you clarify that?
:) I thought that was pretty straight forward. Additional parts cannot interfere with the intended operation. It can't be harder to steer, it can't bind, nothing loose, works the same as OEM when engine stalls, no sudden changes in steering without input etc.

Hopefully that helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.