BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last winter, my truck was taking hard starts in the morning like it was cranking real slow, but it always started on the first try which is wierd. anyways, i put a new battery in and it's been fine all year up until now and its doing the same thing again. if i start it again after running for 10 minutes, no problem. must not be the battery unless the cranking amps arent high enough? possibly the alternator or starter?

------------------
'tis a bonny cereal, BUT IT'S NOT OATMEAL!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Check your battery voltage.
If it's below 12.6 before you start it thats way to low.
Start it up and check it again, you want to see 13.5- 14.7 volts or so. If you do it's the battery that's giving you trouble.
However if you have 13.2 volts or so before starting check the starter draw, it may be killing your battery.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
You might want to check the cleanliness of the connections as well. Dirty connections are high resistance and will not allow sufficient current to reach the starter to crank the way you are expecting.

Have the battery load tested at the outfit that sold it to you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
check the contacts inside your starter as well. They're easy to replace if needs be and only cost a few dollars. They're little copper "L" shaped contacts. They're usually worn on a lot of older trucks. I had the same problem with mine last year.

------------------
Peter
82 Toy, 31" 10.5's, header, Flowmaster, K&N, but still pretty stock

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
terminals on the battery are spotless. i'll get back to you on the others...

------------------
'tis a bonny cereal, BUT IT'S NOT OATMEAL!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bear with me here, i'm mechanically retarded....
the starter is connected directly to the positive terminal on the battery and is located near the transmission, correct?

------------------
Not Just Another Pretty Face...

·
Registered
127 Posts
dont forget to check to see if you have good grounds
there is one on the back of the head - body and one by the passenger side motor mount engine - frame - body - battery ground

1 - 8 of 8 Posts