BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving up a minor, what I consider anyways, hill and all of a sudden it was like I was in neutral but the sound of grinding gears was loud as all sh*t. I let off the gas and with a bang as the engine came to idle the truck was in gear again. If baby it from a stop it is ok but if you get a little into the throttle it grinds and no movement. Also I think I pooched the rear locker!!! When I go around a corner I have to coast or the rear bangs and the vehicle shakes and pulls a bit to one side but in a straight line there is no problem. Any ideas?????

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds like you have a detroit in the rear. IF you can confirm this the sounds and jolts are normal.. If you have the G80 then be worried, mine's been doing the same thing lately.. I dunno whether to like it or hate it.. It's basically locked all the time now so it helps wheeling, but then some times it isn't.. i dunno.

Dunno about the 208, maybe the chain is stretched and if you try and put alot of torque thru it it skips teeth?? Drain the oil and see whats in it.. Same for the rear, see what it looks like and what locker you have.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Simple check get a buddy to look at your drive shaft when your on a hill if the drive shaft spins but you dont move your locker is blown, if the drive shaft does not move and it makes noise, your 208 is blown but I doubt it because the 208 is a strong t case it came behind some 1 Tons, but it is possible to be blown as is your transmission, but it sounds like from what you described to be a blown locker, or even axle shaft. Best bet is to do what i said and also do the locker test to check that it is still working properly, and take the rear diff. cover off to do an actual inspection.

--------------------------
'78 3/4T 350 chev

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the truck is doing this in 4wd than it must be the transfer case correct?? I am pulling the cover off the rear today to check the back since someone wants to buy the rear diff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts