BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the rear of my Cherokee there is a hissing type sound coming from inside my gas tank. This would lead me to believethat this is my fuel pump. I first noticed it when I bought the car but figured it was just a normal sound. Now when accelerating in first and second gear I hear a noise that sounds like a low whinning coming from, I suspect, the fuel pump. Yesterday while accelerating at about 2200 rpm my engine bogged down and choked for about one second before regaining full power. It's a very healthy '92 4.0L H.O. and is very very pampered. What should I look at as the problem? Fuel pump, filter, gas line pinch?, injectors? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Mike

------------------
80 Cj5, 360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Off Road only
92 XJ 6" Rubicon, 32s, strictly street

[This message has been edited by MikeCj5 (edited November 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
397 Posts
Probably not injectors - I'd suspect everything else first, at any rate.

You could do a flow rate test with a bucket and stopwatch to check for obstructions in the line. Then you could do a pressure test (even when driving - just tape the guage to your hood) to check the pump and regulator.

Chances are, you're gonna have to drop the tank and get in there to check. It might just be a clogged pickup screen.

After going through all this once myself, I cut an access hole in the tub, so swapping pumps is a 15-minute job...

Good luck Mike,
Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
418 Posts
you can do a pressure leak-down test in about 7 minutes if you have access to a fuel pressure test guage.chiltons or any other manual will tell you how.dealers are reluctant to tell you how 'cause they want the work.changing the pump on my '90 was easy,it is mounted through the front of the tank.just make sure to disconnect the battery.although i prefer to deal with lordco, the napa replacement pump is the best one,but a bit noisy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a million for the tips guys. I have a feeling that it is either my fuel pump, fuel filter or even just rust in the gas tank that may be clogging my fuel pump/lines.

What do you think are the chances that it could have something to do with my computer or the electronics of the vehicle? I noticed yesterday that if I pump the brakes a few times the engines will climb from idle to about 1100rpm.

------------------

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by crazyguy:
pumping the brakes repeatedly and having the rpm increase is normal.

Are you sure? It never happened before and none of my other vehicles do it?

------------------

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by ScottH:
sounds like your dealing with a vacumn leak with your power booster.
Could you elaborate on this for me. Too many parts on these new engines.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.