BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the rear of my Cherokee there is a hissing type sound coming from inside my gas tank. This would lead me to believethat this is my fuel pump. I first noticed it when I bought the car but figured it was just a normal sound. Now when accelerating in first and second gear I hear a noise that sounds like a low whinning coming from, I suspect, the fuel pump. Yesterday while accelerating at about 2200 rpm my engine bogged down and choked for about one second before regaining full power. It's a very healthy '92 4.0L H.O. and is very very pampered. What should I look at as the problem? Fuel pump, filter, gas line pinch?, injectors? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Mike

------------------
80 Cj5, 360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Off Road only
92 XJ 6" Rubicon, 32s, strictly street

[This message has been edited by MikeCj5 (edited November 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a million for the tips guys. I have a feeling that it is either my fuel pump, fuel filter or even just rust in the gas tank that may be clogging my fuel pump/lines.

What do you think are the chances that it could have something to do with my computer or the electronics of the vehicle? I noticed yesterday that if I pump the brakes a few times the engines will climb from idle to about 1100rpm.

------------------

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by crazyguy:
pumping the brakes repeatedly and having the rpm increase is normal.

Are you sure? It never happened before and none of my other vehicles do it?

------------------

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by ScottH:
sounds like your dealing with a vacumn leak with your power booster.
Could you elaborate on this for me. Too many parts on these new engines.

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.