BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a running 71 and non running 68 FJ40. The seller wants $2000 for both.
The "good" one is not certified for road use and has been rolled a couple of times.
Many patches, lots of rust. He says it runs ok.The parts truck is not complete, and is totally rusted away, engine seized.
These trucks are very hard to find in SK.
What would something like this be worth in B.C ???
I have not bought a 40 for a few years so maybe I'm out of touch.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I think it's a pretty good deal. I'm not totally in the market or anything...but Landcruisers are VERY nice vehicles.

$2000 for a running FJ40 is a good deal...the extra parts vehicle is even better.

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Both have the worst of the Cruiser stuff. F engines, three speed trans, drum brakes. There better be some good sheetmetal for the money.

As far as BC value goes... I turned down a couple of FJ40s on the sunshine coast a while ago that were $1600 for the pair (a '76 and '74)

I'd look at them though there are often diamonds in the rough

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know they have the least desirable parts, but I have 4 speed trannys and t-cases laying around.
There is not much body left on these trucks.
They are pretty beat up and rusty,not to mention rolled a few times and glass smashed out.
I'm gonna hear the one run this saturday, and I'll make an offer.
I don't want to pay to much for junk though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It is a matter of how much they are worth to you. If they are really that rare out there and you really want one then it probably isn't to bad a deal. Those things are definetly sweet rigs when modified. They are sweet on the trail and look awesome on the street. Petersons rated them as the most over built 4x4 in history. They are basically a 1 ton with a body only slightly bigger than a jeep.

If you get it make sure people know its a Toyota. When ever I point them out aound here everyone says, "that's the ugliest Jeep I have ever seen". Then I yell and scream.

------------------
93' x-tra cab. I hate my IFS. Ya I know your rig is better than mine.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I payed 1000 for my fj40 ugly and rusty. But mechanically good with an aluminum half tub. I also got a fj55 for 600 running good but crappy body. The max I would pay for those part trucks is 1000. 500 each

Dan

------------------
jeeps are for girls...
....cute ones!!
79 FJ cocked,locked and ready to unload!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree with Dan, i only paid 800 bucks for my diesel but with repairs the total skyrockets - especially proper rust removal which I am only starting to get around to.
What good is the truck with a seized motor and a ton of rust?

The best thing to do is start with 2000 bucks then start adding up the costs of repairs and then make a decision.

------------------
470,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)

G

·
You sure dont want to inheret someone elses problems. If you had a good 71 FJ40 that you needed parts for, and if parts were difficult to come by, I would probably say pick them up. But the price seems way too steep to me for two trucks that you will have to sink a bunch of cash into just to get road worthy.

Jes my 02. Crusiers are WAY cool

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.