BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. Here we go. My last automotive project was in the 80's. I have been raising kids, running a computer business and I don't know what else, but the time is finally here for me to start my own project. I have read the magazines and done lots of drooling. I know I am going to need lots of advice so please don't hesitate to chime in with your opinions. (Be gentle though)

First step clear some room in the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes that is a two bay garage attached to the house. Hopefully I can clear up one side at least.

The bikes are going to have to go as well! Did I mention I was a computer guy!:clown

Attachments

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
You can't just leave us hanging with garage pics, how about a list of what you plan to do?

What axle? Suspension type?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Point Dan.
Here is my list.
Starting with a 1989 Ford ranger Extended cab.
I have:
1974 Early Bronco Dana 44 front axle with Drum Brakes.:cwm36:
1979 Bronco Outer hubs with Disk Brakes :)
1974 Early Bronco 9" Rear end with Drum Brakes
5.5" Lift Wild Horse Early Bronco Springs
15x10" Aluminum wheels (Thanks to dubmatic)
Ordered 37x14.5x15" Toyo Open Country M/Ts But they are a ways away (4 to 6 weeks)

Plans:
Put all that stuff in! How hard could it be?
I am wanting this to be a competent trail rig with good street manners and I want it to look great!
With this in mind, I don't want to lift it too much, so some trimming is in store.
(My last Ranger had 6" suspension, 3" body, and 38" Super Swampers)
I think I will do the build up in stages.
Stage I
Get the axles in, hooked up, etc.
Stage II
Go for extended radius arms, new spring buckets, shock towers etc.
Stage III
Rear Disc conversion etc.
Stage IV
Who knows...

PS. Thought I would leave you with one more picture from the garage. Just incase any of you were wondering... I do have a work bench.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So. I cleaned out the garage and found room for my "custom" two tone Ranger .
I made some initial height measurements. One thing I noticed is that one side of the rear was an ich higher than the other. Is that normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. I took the grinder out that I bought a year ago from Canadian Tire (On sale of course) and never used. Found some safety glasses and ear protection and the next thing you know.... No front suspension.

Does any one know where to get some safety glasses that go over prescription glasses. Mine fog up after about 5 minutes. I used the wind from the grinder to clear them..(How safe is that!)
I am reposting the picture of my ranger from behind. I now know it was a mistake to be that close to the side of the garage. Live and learn...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Nice.How much lift do you want to end up with and what size tire you want too run??

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny you should ask those questions, 4Lo.
I am hoping for only about 7 inches of lift.
The stock springs are 11" perch to perch and the new Wild Horse Springs with the Dana 44 should be 18" perch to perch. That is all theoretical. I will let you know when I mock it up tomorrow...

But... Here is how big the tires are gonna be.....37x14.5x15 Toyo M/Ts:clown

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I must have heard you chomping DerekJ. I couldn't wait till tomorrow either. So, while the paint was drying I decided where to mount the Radius arm brackets. I am going stock to start, maybe go with extended arms in stage II or something. I know that I want the axle a bit forward of stock, so after finding that most guys have benn using the fron bolt hole of the transfercase crossmember for the back hole of the radius arm bracket, I put a hole 1.5 inches forward of that and after bolting that one in and putting some weight on the bracket, I drilled the rest of the holes. Here is how it looks.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am probably going to have to touch up the paint but I don't care. Here is how the whole thing looks... I am majorly concerned about the spring angle. I can easily move the passenger side perch but the driver's side has a bulge in the frame to deal with. What can I do?:help:
If I angle the bottom more will that help?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,058 Posts

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
You can redril the bottom spring mounting cup to move it rearward if you want to straighten the coils

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info Bronco Boy. I am torn. I have teenaged boys and I know they are gonna wanna wheel it hard. I want to keep it as low as I can. I think the Sawzall will win. I have ordered a new body bushing kit so once I am ready to replace those I can decide whether or not a little body lift is needed. The wheels I have right now have a major offset so a tonne sticks out as well. When I turn who knows how much room I will need. Does a sawzall do a clean job of cutting sheet metal or is there a better saw?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Dan. I put a couple washers under the perch to give me a better angle.

I have 7 degree c bushings in there and the arms seem to be right a 7 degrees. I put a screw driver through the balljoint ends and I have about 4 degrees of caster (I think that is what it is called). So I think I need a 7 to 10 degree shim under the perch and if I move it back about an inch... That might just do it. Thanks for the idea. Never thought of that.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I sent the Dana 44 off to be geared and rebuilt. I decided on 5.12:1 gears and becasue I have teenaged boys, I spent a bit more and went for an ARB. That way i can turn it onn for crawling and off for the fast stuff. I am going to use the stock shafts for now (save $$$). Trying to decide on a good air compressor that I can use for the ARB and for airing up my tires.

Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 383 Posts