BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grief, grief, grief.

Ok. How many different styles of roll bars are there? I have definately not been able to find any specific info on the roll bar styles. I have an 88 YJ, and the back to bars angle down from above your head to the wheel well right behind the rear tires. I know the new ones have pretty much the same welding spots, but they go horizontal behind your head and then curve straight down to the wheel wells. When did they start doing this? From what I can tell from sihtty little BestTop ads, my style is from 87-91 and the new style is from 92-? Does anyone know of a site that has references and pictures?

(I should have asked this last week before I took the pipe-bender and welder to my jeep to get the fscking garage-sale-soft-top on, but it's too late and I'm still curious)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Rude said:
From what I can tell from sihtty little BestTop ads, my style is from 87-91 and the new style is from 92-? Does anyone know of a site that has references and pictures?

That's the correct years.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
'92 and up YJs all had the same roll bar (ie: coverage for the rear passengers). '91 and older had the inverted-Y shaped roll bars (ie: no coverage for rear passengers).

Those were the only two styles.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You mean that's it? I was hoping for some good explanation or something to prove me wrong. I feel violated.

Anyways, my jeep now looks more like a lego set. I added an inverted 'U' bar across the back of the jeep so I can fit a newer soft-top (so you can use the back seat. although mine's taken out) without any stupid breakable bows.

I'll send you pics and details when this rain clears so you can add it to the YJ faq if you'd like. (Fitting new soft-tops on older YJ's)

The extra roll-bar across the back has absolutely no function in a roll-over whatsoever, but it makes me look like I know what I'm doing and it fits the top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts