BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a guy offered to sell me his crusier for 800.00 tonight it is in running condition.
My question what axles do the late 70s cruisers come with? It has a stock inline 6 engine. That is all I know but I can find out more if needed.
Would this make for a good project truck?

------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.

·
1,269 Posts
Check it for rust. What year/model/mileage? Not sure about the early axles but they did have birfields and they are a bit stronger than 8" Toy diffs. The person to talk to about a Cruiser is dp. I'd say $800 sounds like a pretty good deal though. If you don't buy it I might be interested in taking a look at it.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you don't buy it I want the # please. Is it an FJ40?? Thanx.

------------------
Trucks are built, not bought. When there bulit, beat em, break em and build em again BETTER!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I believe they the diffs came with either the 3.73's or the 4.11's. The 6's run forever and can start in any wheater, would jump on it if it's in good mechanical condition here's a great link to tones of info. http://www.offroad.com/tlc/faq/body.html
and if it looks like your jeep, it's an Fj-40 Anthony

------------------
86 4-Runner STILL stock

[This message has been edited by Gullygossner (edited February 26, 2002).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
You don't want the thing, probably a rust bucket, but I'll take it from him strictly out of the kidness of my heart! Seriously, I will! The front axle should be awesome in that thing, if it's fine spline (should be) and has discs (maybe, maybe not). In any case a late 70s should have the fine splines and they'll hold up to a severe beating, better than the toy p/u stuff. The engines run forever, but they're gas guzzelers, the tranny and t-case will hold up to a small block, but the t-case doesn't last too long behind a big block. All in all a great project vehicle, even if you don't use the frame the running gear is good.

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

[This message has been edited by Lil' blue Yoyo (edited February 26, 2002).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts