BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am new here and new to 4x4s as well. I recently bought a 2.5L Jeep TJ (2002) and am getting used to it. I like it, and it is great in the snow (I live in Vancouver but I had taken it to Whistler). But it seems very underpowered on the highway. I did read that the 2.5L ones don't have much power, but I had trouble keeping 90kmph on the road back to Vancouver from Whistler. There were stretches on the highway that I had to shift to 3rd just because it didn't pull in 4th well at all. Its very bothersome when it won't pull in 4th (to keep say 85kmph) and it revs too high in 3rd (I don't like to take it above 70kmph in 3rd). I guess something is wrong with it? The guy I bought it from had changed the air filter, the spark plugs and the distributor, but it probably hasn't gotten any 'heavy' work done on it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the "symptoms" you've described make it sound like a typical everyday, well running 2.5L.

IMHO, I've only liked 2 things about the 2.5L: The better city driving gas mileage than my 4.0L and the better stock gearing than some 4.0L's that came with wimpy gears like 3.07 or 3.73.

Do you know what gears you're running? And this is a 5-speed, correct? What tire size do you have? Extra weight in the Jeep?

·
Registered
945 Posts
3rd gear up hill very normal (I have had 3 Jeeps with 2.5L including fresh rebuilds).

should be able to go over 100km/h on the flat sections no problem, but no up hill power.

Also the spread is too wide between 3rd and 4th (I think 4th is 1:1 and 5th is an overdrive). Even with mods it will only go up hill on grades in BC at 70km/h in 3rd (unless you want to rev it).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the "symptoms" you've described make it sound like a typical everyday, well running 2.5L.
That was what I was afraid of :)

Do you know what gears you're running? And this is a 5-speed, correct? What tire size do you have? Extra weight in the Jeep?
No, I don't know what the gear ratios are. Yes, it is a 5 speed, but given 4th is so poor, its equivalent to 5th. Tire size I think is stock? They seem normal size. No extra weight, just me and a snowboard.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yes, it does well on the flat stretches. So driving around in the city would mostly never involve shifting to 4th?
I'd be surprised if you ever reached 4th in the city...unless your trying to race your heep against a ricer at 15,000 RPM.

And as previously mentioned, 4th gear being 1:1, I think that's correct. Then 5th is WAY taller. Silly design, but some people love it.

Don't worry, you still drive a Jeep. 2.5L or 4.0L, you drive a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick wall. You'll find a range that feels comfortable and works well for you in all terrains (on or off road, up or down hill, city, etc.). Just give it time and be patient. You still own a Jeep and can get places many city drivers can only dream about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thank you VanBCguy and thedjjack. I guess I don't have to take it to a shop soon then. And yes, I do like the Jeep. I have never off-roaded but I definitely do plan to!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a 94 YJ with a 2.5, 5 Mt and 4.11 gears. The engine has been rebuilt, minor head work like a 3 angle valve and the head and block were decked so the compression is a little higher. still runs well on 87 gas too. Also has K&N intake, throttle spacer, hiPo coil and new wires plugs. Also the change to 5w-30 sythentic made the engine run very smooth and quiet. Overall my guess would be 150-155 crank horse power. Point is even something that gains 10 horsepower is like 7-8 opercent gain in power and even a couple basic performance mods and Maintenace do ALOT in the way of drivebility for that engine.
BTW my truck performs basically the same, decent acceleration off the line with 4.11 gears but once I hit 120kph it takes a while to accelerate any faster. TJs are also a bit heavier than a simliar equipped YJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts