BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Having just moved into my first house I'm slowly starting to add to my pitiful tool collection now that I actually have a garage to store stuff.

My question is: What tools do you think every Jeep owner/Shade Tree Mechanic should have in his garage? The must have tools and even some of the cool fun things that we really just wanna play with!

Speaking of Tools I found this link while surfing for info some may find funny- Tool Joke

------------------
1988 YJ Laredo

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
You need a good set of TORX sockets to fit all those stupid TORX bolts on your Jeep. And some TORX screwdrivers to fit all those stupid TORX screws.
Make sure you have some twelve point metric sockets in your collection to get those twelve point metric bolts out.
A good size chisel and a hammer to remove those silly unit bearing things on the front end.
A punch set for knocking the roll pin out of the front carrier.
The biggest prybar you can find.
Lots of WD-40

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, Slightly Wrinkled.
69 Ford, big tires.
72 Datsun 510, old and ugly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Full socket set, metric and imperial
Combination Wrenchs.
Propane torch (cause they are fun)
Duct Tape and Electric tape.
Pliers.
Screw Drivers.
Pop rivet gun.
Rags, WD40.
Various nuts and bolts.
Jacks.
Hacksaws.
Files.
Breaker bar.

Thats about all Ive used this year.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires 1" body lift
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
237 Posts
Oh and when you come out of a mud pit, a pressure washer helps and old golf club shafts make perfect replacement frame bars for soft tops hehehe.

------------------

·
Registered
73 Posts
that's all!!!????... wow then I have the makings of a good beginner shop... thanks guys... any of you guys have any opinions bout the need for a welder?... how bout the el cheapo ones on sale from time to time from Canadian tire?

·
Registered
73 Posts
oh by the way, congrats on moving into the house Y-james... just recent for me too... now just more space to accumulate junk!!
Originally posted by Y-James:
Hi all,

Having just moved into my first house I'm slowly starting to add to my pitiful tool collection now that I actually have a garage to store stuff.

My question is: What tools do you think every Jeep owner/Shade Tree Mechanic should have in his garage? The must have tools and even some of the cool fun things that we really just wanna play with!

Speaking of Tools I found this link while surfing for info some may find funny- Tool Joke

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go to Costco and get the little welder they have there, It's the same one at CT except its $170 cheaper. Unless you have a G to spend then get a 220 mig. Also get a grinder and a set of cutting torches, and air compressor is a fantastic addition to any garage. and a sawzall

·
Registered
102 Posts
Except for the welder...I carry most of that crap in my rig.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

[This message has been edited by nikon_jeeper (edited October 13, 2001).]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Costco sells one? how much is it approx? what kinda stuff (thickness) would I be able to weld... hmmm which leads to... what would be the cheapest way--keeping in mind to do things properly, so welds are good--to learn some elementary welding??

·
Registered
12 Posts

This is the same one as at CT for 599.99 but at CostCo it's 429.99 it'll weld up to 1/4". If I was you I'd take a welding class somewhere, I want to take one too but there is no such thing up here. This will probably do you untill you get compitent and want a 220V and by then you'll still want to keep the little buzz box for small jobs, You can even buy an aluminum kit for this bad boy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just bought a welder from KMS tools. I bought a clarke 220 volt welder for 549.00 plus taxes. I just re-wired the end on it and pluged it into my dryer. If you buy a 110 volt get a hobart from KMS. They have a starter kit there which comes with everything you need for like 650.00 or 700.00. Personally I think you will buy the smaller unit and then want to upgrade to the larger unit. Do it once and do it right.

HTH

------------------
87 Samurai, 92 fuel injected 1.6 ltr.,s.o.a., 5.13 r/p, birfield rings, 2" exhaust, 32/11.5 mud kings, breeze steering and missing links, 5012 up front with custom towers, toyota mr-2 seats, breeze trac bar, custom rock sliders and still going.

·
Registered
237 Posts
For a beginner shop you dont need much, the only tool I dont have which I have needed before was an impact wrench, but after a lot of WD40 I didnt need it anymore

------------------

·
Registered
70 Posts
EVERY 4x4 NEEDS THE GOOD OLD BIG ASS SCREWDRIVER!!!!!!!!

------------------
80 Cj5, 360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Off Road only
92 XJ 6" Rubicon, 32s, strictly street

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may want to hold off on the welder until you take a class... It's not something that you can just pick up and do if you want it done right... Ecspecially if it pertains to welding a roll cage or something that you may need to depend on one day.

35119-3VGA
Campbell Hausfeld 7 HP, 80 GALLON, 135 PSI QUADZILLA AIR COMPRESSOR $899.99
This is from HarborFreight.com it's a nice compressor it does everything I want it to do...

ANother thing might be a stocked fridge of your preferred beverage for the long nights ecspecially if you want your friends to help...

------------------
78 CJ5
Stock for Now
Wish List is Growing

·
Registered
30 Posts
dish washer is not a good a idea, it'll rust most of your parts unless you can feed it with the proper solvents in stead of water. But it is a good idea, as for your stove keep it in case you start powder coating parts (uv lamp stuff is expensive). Oh and welding is an art form.
* have a good set of hammers
* stuff to do body work (no bondo you still want a cheep fridge magnet to stick after your done)
* cheeter lever and handdels
* a pneumatic grease gun (I can shoot grease up to 50 yards) a regular pump one will do though
* have a vise
* 6 ton floor jack and some axel stands you know the basic also a creeper
* and blow torches always comes in handy weather you need it or not
* if so have a good size fire extinguisher mounted in a easily acceable place

·
Registered
379 Posts
I still think a dishwasher is a great idea and I don't think parts will rust after 20 minutes of washing. Whats the difference between this or working with parts in the rain for an hour to a loose battery mount or a broken alternator?

And you're right about the solvents. A good solvent will clean a part real good. If you think rust is a problem, maybe there is some kinda rust neutralizer solvent you could mix with something else to make the perfect "part-cleaner-mix"??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts