BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what will happen if i try to jump start a 12 volt (ex.honda civic) with my 24 volt system?
is it possible to get enough juice from a 12 volt to start my mog? or am i pretty much screwed if my battery dies?

------------------
1963 unimog 404 ramsey 12000lb pto front

[This message has been edited by Rayman17 (edited December 10, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I have experienced this with my friends mog. You just use only one battery to jump the honda. but test to see which battery has 12V across it when the engine is runnung, because one will have 24 when the engine is running and 12 when the engine is of. I know that sounds strange, but that is what it is like on my friends 404 mog. You can jump the mog of a 12V system, you just have to give it more timeto charge the batteries before you try to start it, and again hook it up to the battery that has 12V accross it.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by rockwell:
Sounds like your uni-mog has a series parallel switch.... be careful......

[This message has been edited by rockwell (edited December 12, 2001).]
and this means?????? I don't quite follow. Is this a bad thing?

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
For more info go to: http://members.home.net/jaretthumphrey

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
We used 24 volts once to start an engine. It wouldnt crank fast enough no matter how much 12 volt we gave it. Got it started but the damn thing started pinging right away.

Whoops, wrong piston and head combination, the math said it had a compression ratio aruond 15.1:1, no wonder we couldnt crank it over.

Sorry, back to the original topic, you have two batteries in the mog, they are twelve volts. The voltage of one battery is twelve volts, just make sure you hook the cables to only one battery.
If you need to start the mog from a car you'll need to hook up the cables to one battery , or disconect them from eachother and hook them both, and then let the cars alternator charge them for a while, you won't get full voltage if you just try to jump start it with only one battery hooked up.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts