BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all you junkyard dogs... this one's for you:

Is there any way to tell if a samurai has had new (higher) gears or a new tcase installed in it just by looking at the outside of the diffs and t-case? If you can't and you're junkyard diving any suggestions on a safe and quick way to check this out???

Yes, I've found a wrecked lifted sammi or two... NO, I won't tell anyone about 'em till I figure out if they have what I want

David

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
There is no good way to tell just by looking, but you can figure out apprx. gearing in the diff by spining the driveshaft.
For instance, if a diff has 5.13 sidekick gears in it yo will have to rotate the driveshaft 5.13 times to get the rear wheel to spin once.
So try that... If you spin the shaft just over 3 and a half times to get a full revolution you are looking at stock gears.

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is just a gamble, and I stand to learn from this as well.
I drive a 90 Samurai and it doesn't have an e-brake drumon the t case when did they stop putting e-brake drums on them?
Also I have discovered that older model transfer cases have a smaller flange.

The Fist

·
Registered
75 Posts
Only the 85's had the t-case drum e-brake.

85-88 have the same size flanges, 88 1/2 and up are larger.

AFAIK there is no way to tell if the t-case has been changed to a lower ratio unless you pull it apart. I would assume that if anyone ever wrecked their sami and it was sent to a junkyard that they would go pull the t-case if it was one of the GRS1's since they are so valuable.

Robin.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by schmiot:
Only the 85's had the t-case drum e-brake.

85-88 have the same size flanges, 88 1/2 and up are larger.

AFAIK there is no way to tell if the t-case has been changed to a lower ratio unless you pull it apart. I would assume that if anyone ever wrecked their sami and it was sent to a junkyard that they would go pull the t-case if it was one of the GRS1's since they are so valuable.

Robin.
Actually...

ICBC can be a bit bitchy at times. If it was undriveable and ICBC collected it from the accident scene and wrote it off. They may not let it go... Hey, I can hope right

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Originally posted by David:
Ok all you junkyard dogs... this one's for you:

Is there any way to tell if a samurai has had new (higher) gears or a new tcase installed in it just by looking at the outside of the diffs and t-case? If you can't and you're junkyard diving any suggestions on a safe and quick way to check this out???

Yes, I've found a wrecked lifted sammi or two... NO, I won't tell anyone about 'em till I figure out if they have what I want

David

If an OEM t/case has been mode'd you CAN NOT tell unless you count the in-out ratio.
If you're asking about the difference between different year t/cases (unmodified), there is some visible differences.

I'll be shooting from my memory, I hope I get this right :)
All pre-'85 t/cases have an integrated drum e-brake.
All pre-'88.5 have smaller d/shaft flanges (with 12MM bolt_heads)
All pre-'84 have no 4x4 switch
All pre-'83 have slightly different rear casting due to a different bearings used on the counter gear.
All pre-'83 use 24MM nut at the flanges. All the latter years use 27MM.

'k, that's enough :)

Hope it helps

------------------
-marker

1 - 6 of 6 Posts