BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! i just bought a '96 F150 4x4, its my first 4x4 truck and i never got an owners amnual with it, i was just wondering, brfore i screw anything up, what i have to do and when, when i engage the 4 wheel drive, its got auto lock hubs so i'm not worried about that, just about when i can shift and what i have to do(any special things or can i just plop ity into gear?) thanks alot see ya soon

·
Registered
583 Posts
You willhave to be in neutral to shift into 4 low.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Burnaby, B.C.
"No Brain, No Pain"
A page from my book.

Jeeps don't have "things"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, what about 4hi? do i have to be stopped in neutral also or is it an "on the fly" type thing where i can shift it in below a certain speed?

------------------
'96 V8 F150 4x4 5sp Stock so far....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Buy a manual.Keep it in your truck.Read it like the bible.Anyone you're with will apreciate the fact you know your truck,including you.

------------------
93bronco

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
It would probably be preferable to be stopped before putting it in 4hi or lo.
If you can not get it out of 4x, back up a bit to release some of the binding that may occur.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
127 Posts
One problem ive come across with those automatic hubs is when you roll back a bit say in neutral they will unlock, unless you have power going to the frontend. So what happens when your trying to rock your truck out of a situation is they unlock for the split second going backwards and when you hit the throttle to move forward they engage with full power to them and they blow up. maybe not the first time but it doesnt take long for it to happen. save yourself the truoble and put a good set of manual hubs in. Those automatic ones arent cheap either.

------------------
You either MAKE it or BRAKE it!!!! 38" SWAMPERS & 7" of lift Yahoo

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey VPS guy,

If you want to learn how to operate that 4x thing, you should try some 'wheelin with your Ranger friend.
You see, with "man"ual locking hubs, this is an easy question to answer. Get it??
Just buggin. As soon as you get that ball joint fixed, and I stop loosing coolant and become reliable again, we will go on an excursion with G's Samurai. Maybe we should find a good guide on this bb to show us some good novice trails, somewhere different than Eagle.
Talk to you later,
bikeguy

G

·
Stave lake has a few great novice trails. gradual climbs with the occasional "obsticle" like a deep rut or loose rock. Thats where I went to learn how to 4x4.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Just look out for the mud pits. They tend to suck you in

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a 92 ford f150 4x4 With auto hubs and the drivers side did exactly what That guy was telling you about the driver side unlocked in reverse and when I pulled it into drive in the hole It went crunch there was a grinding noise from the front and spinning in the rear. Ends a fun day fast. I solved the problem by puttin manual hubs on which were a lotcheaper and alot more dependable off road I found. Some guys may disagree but thats what happend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks big blue..its been a little while since i pposted this but i found out the auto hubs were destroyed by the previous owner so i bought some warn manuals workin awesome!

------------------
Blair
'96 V8 F150 4x4 5sp Stock so far....

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
The auto hubs are more prone to breakage because the housings are made weaker than the manual hubs, something to do with wall thickness. My 96 F150 was a great truck, but it really sucked down the gas with 33's and 3.55 gears

------------------
78 Bronco 351M NP435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

·
1,269 Posts
When those stock ford hubs let go, look out! I've found Ranger hubs 15 ft. into the tree line before. Yikes.

------------------
86 toyota, 6", 35s, and a garage full of parts. (my beast)
Mods? Well I hold my CV boots together with zap-straps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts