BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the idea to install a hand throttle when I realized I had all the peices hanging around. Man was it easy. 30 minutes later I had the little hand shifter attached to the gearshift and ready to go. I really recommend this cheap and easy mod. You'll be able to crawl at a constant speed or have a primitive cruise control.

·
Registered
860 Posts

give us a plan for it...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any write up I do wouldn't be as good as the many I've seen around the internet that gave me the idea. Here's one http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/throttle.html

I figure the hardest parts are 1. attaching the lever to the 'stick' (bike handlebars are thicker) and 2. attaching the cable to the throttle (not wanting any kinks or any interference with the throttle).

For mounting the lever I took one of those plastic plugs that go inside the end of a handlebar, cut off the end that sticks out from the handlebar, and then slit it lengthwise to get it around the 'stick'. The thickness that adds to the 'stick' makes the shifter fit perfectly.

I attached the cable to the throttle using a very small ring, from a keychain of all things, fitted around the nub beside the one the actual throttle is attached to. To that I attached a 2 inch peice of bathroom chain. You can buy the chain from Lordco. It's the smallest one they sell. I had some on hand, of couse the toilet's harder to flush now. And you can attach the chain to the ****er wire with just an electical crimp, although you might want to loop the wire around the crimp once to prevent slippage.

For me it cost nothing as I had all the peices in my junk drawers. But you can buy everything cheap from bike stores, or ask them for any old stuff from their junk drawers, or find an old discarded bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.