BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, i had a guy call me back on my truck and ask me if i was willing to trade it for an 89 cherokee, sounds good to me?? It has brand new paint and 217k for the year not too bad for km,s. He bought the truck 10 yrs ago off his dad, who bought it brand new here in kamloops. It has a 4.0l auto tranny and has been very well maintained since new, I'm looking at it tomorrow at 5pm so i'll check things like ball joints and what not, but is there anything i should especially look at other than common leaky valve cover gaskets and oil in anti freeze?? Also are there any owners out there that are running into major problems?? What is the average cost and how hard is it to lift this cherokee 3-4in?? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, more so about the technical stuff, lift is to come in months ahead. Thanks alot
Tyler

------------------
1981 Short Box Toyota, 3in trailmaster body lift, brand new ES3000's and a single ES2000, marshal 33's, hooker header, K&N filter and a good old cb radio.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Check the coolant bottle for cracks/leaks...check the rear main seal for leakage (burnt oil on exhaust downpipe, leak from between the tranny and rear of the engine...not to be mistaken for a leaky valvecover)...check for leaky valvecover
...holes in the exhaust, including the manifold...check the t-case...check fluids and look for the normal junk that could be wrong with a car. :p

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks nikon!!
Not to be mistaken for leaky?? minor leak??what does the burt oil on the downpipe(manifol attaches to exhaust pipe?) indicate?? thanks again.
I've been stoked on getting a cherokke for about a year now and i'm very interested with doing a new project

------------------
1981 Short Box Toyota, 3in trailmaster body lift, brand new ES3000's and a single ES2000, marshal 33's, hooker header, K&N filter and a good old cb radio.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just recently bought mine for $3700 with 285k on the odo, and a minor oil leak from the rear main oil seal (will be fixed by this weekend). I went from a samurai to this thing and I can't get enough of it. The power, the torque, the room, THE HEAT!!!

I haven't really had any problems so far... seeing as I've only had it for just over a week now. Although there is a REALLLLLY annoying squeak in the back somewhere... other than that, I love it!

------------------
'89 4.0L Cherokee Laredo

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Throttle, that gets me a little more stoke. What's your gas mileage like?? how expensive is it to have a rear main seal changed just in case?? I'm far too easily annoyed when doing the larger more sophisticated repairs. thanks agin

------------------

·
Registered
419 Posts
Gas mileage... well on the highway its damn good, but in the city its not all that great (for me at least), cuz when you go from a puny 66hp engine to one thats 150+ its more incentive to just give'er hehe. I'm starting to feel the burn in my pocket so I'm driving nicely and it seems to get fairly good gas mileage in the city. If you know the lower mainland then to give an example, I live in abbotsford and drove to aldergrove and back, then to chilliwack and back and it was only a 1/4 tank... thats driving it nicely. The rear main oil seal isn't all that hard, it'll take probably 3/4 of a day or less for someone who knows what their doing. As for the part prices, they aren't so bad, you need to replace the oil pan gasket while you do it aswell (well... its a good idea to at least). All together it cost me $33 for gaskets (thats at cost) so I'm guessing probably in the area of $40-$50 (depending where you go and what sort of discount you have). Not to mention the new oil, and oil filter you'll need...

Don't quote me on this, I haven't done it yet. I'm only gettin my info from the guys at Jeep Thrills about the estimated time it takes. I'm doing mine on Sunday and I'll let you know how things go.

------------------
'89 4.0L Cherokee Laredo

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet that's exactly what I wanna hear, that's better than my 81 Toy with 33's. I'll need good mileage as I drive to and from Victoria from Kamloops to see my girlfriend. How are the auto hubs?? Can u change them, is it even worth while, or are the autos sufficient? Thanks again

------------------
1981 Short Box Toyota, 3in trailmaster body lift, brand new ES3000's and a single ES2000, marshal 33's, hooker header, K&N filter and a good old cb radio. Working on swapping for a Cherokee, it's time for a change in pace

·
Registered
419 Posts
I like the whole e-brake type shifter they've got for the 4x4. and having the automatic hubs just makes it so much easier. I have no problem with them, I don't really go rockclimbing or stuff like that, I usually stick to the mud and logging roads so its sufficient for me. I'd probably recomend going to a manual hub if your lookin at rock climbing.

------------------
'89 4.0L Cherokee Laredo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.