BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deak with these filters, I'm running one in my FJ40 right now and was recently told they aren't any good for dusty applications.
I always thought a properly serviced and re-oiled K&N was an exellent choice for off road use.
Dirt bikes have used them for years, same with the U.S miltary bikes.
So what's the general concenses here, is K&N junk?
Or is paper safer? I've only put a 2000km's on since I installed it, maybe I should chuck it!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've heard they're no good for stopping dust, but I've got one in my jeep.

I've also been told that if you oil them up well, they do just fine.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
dryflyin said:
thats the catch you must do a proper job of oiling them ,most people don't
Most peeps just throw it in and treat it like a paper element. (no oiling)
After a LONG dusty trail you can bang, beat, whack, the dust out of 'em, then clean, rinse, and re-oil if ya want.

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
No matter how well the filter is oiled it still does a lousy job when it comes to filtering dust. I run my k&n for the street and use a paper filter off road.

My $0.02 + tax

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason I bought it was for it's "superior" filtration.
At least thats what the website says, But it does make some sense if you read it all, endurance desert racers use this stuff, and those mills have to be pricey!
I guess re-oiling it after a dusty run is the answer, because the extra dirt and oil make it filter better, or the website says...............
I think I'll have a beer while it drys.....:beer

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
dp said:
The reason I bought it was for it's "superior" filtration.
At least thats what the website says, But it does make some sense if you read it all, endurance desert racers use this stuff, and those mills have to be pricey!
I guess re-oiling it after a dusty run is the answer, because the extra dirt and oil make it filter better, or the website says...............
I think I'll have a beer while it drys.....:beer
You have to realize that the desert racers likely rebuild their engines after several runs, where as we don't have that choice.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I run one in my truck,works ok.
any of you Ford guys driving newer power strokes don't use a k&n.it doesn't fit the air box right,I've seen 3 trucks with dusted turbos because dirt was let by the filter.:(

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
For offroad use with a cone type k&n you need a pre-filter sleeve that blocks fine dust.
Put it on for wheeling and take it off for highway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have used my K&N for about 10,000kms and I have a nice layer of dust on the intake tube that runs from my filter to the manifold. And I have only put on maybe 200kms in overly dusty situations.

I am going to clean it out and if that don't work, its going in the garbage.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i wouldnt run them if you have a turbo chevy either, they collapse and let dirt in.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
As just about everyone on this thread has said...dust bad, street good.

If your in an area with very little gravel roads, you should be find. Rockcrawling or (medium to low speed) dirt trails arn't gonna kick up a lot of dust, so you don't have to worry.

If you don't need the extra power, just use paper. If you really do need some cheap extra HP, get a K&N and a pre-filter that is easy to take out.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Amsoil has the same thing but has done much better than K&N in filtration tests. Cost me 50 bucks for mine over the net. That was for a 22re.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
yeah My Amsoil works awsome bottam side is coverd in dust and dirt and the top side is like new and no dust on the intake tube to the Manifold.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did check for dust in the intake side of my cruiser and didn't really see any, but it doesn't mean it wasn't breathing dust.
I went to Canadian tire and they want $47 for an air filter for my 75 FJ40, so I put the K&N back in for now.

·
Registered
363 Posts
the key to good filtration with a k&n is to NOT clean it to frequently, but to simply re-oil a dirty filter. this may sound a little backwards, but the dirt buildup acts like a filter itself and soaks up some of the oil from the cloth. k&n actually recomends cleaning only when there is a considerable dirt buildup, as it takes a signifigant amout of dirt to restict airflow, even then its comparable to a new paper filter.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After reading the instructions, this is what I should have done, re-oiled the dirty filter.
Well, it will get dirty again!
I can't believe that the toyota dealer sells the air filter for less than Canadian tire.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
They dont stop water worth crap, the water sprays right through it, the paper filter absorbs the water and it has to become completely saturated before you drown your engine

I'll run one on the street, when I decide I can afford one.

Actually I have a K&N in my Datsun 510, it came with the engine, and I've never cleaned or oiled it. I can still see through it so it must be clean enough :laugh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts