BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man you can't beat chirping tires. Should do wonders for it's wheeling ability.

I had to swap a 5.13 in to give me back my driveablity after I fitted my 30's under the kick last week. Since I had the third member sitting there I decided to try a lincon locker.:welder Very easy to do with some patcience and lots of water(for me cause it's hotter than hell in my shop.) The whole carrier is weled closed so that if any pices of the side gears/spider gears decide to explode they won't go floating around in the axle(no corn cobbed pinion.) Both side gears and all 3 spider gears are welded to the carrier(I welded too far over to get the fourth spider gear in the carrier.:violin.) Forgot to take pictures too.

Took it out for a boot down the beach and had everyone looking at me like I was an idiot. I just told them it was posi and they understood. I am finding the more gas you give it the less the tires chirp(more potential for the rear end to explode though.)

Time will tell how well this mod will hold up. So far I like the results and would suggest this mod to anyone. Just keep a spare carrier handy for winter.:welder

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next time I catch up with you I will let you take my rig for a rip and let you see if you like the locker or not. But we could weld one up for you very easily.

I plan on doing this mod over a locker(unless it's an ARB)next time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sneakers, nike's kick ass. Ahhhh my tires are gay anyways. I will throw an open diff in when I get my SJ410 up and running. My kick is my tow rig but it is my main wheeler until the 410 gets finished. As far as a mod, its is great performance wise. I woldn't spend the money on a rear locker unless it was an ARB. I have yet to meet someone that hasen't liked there lincon locker that truely liked to wheel. But my opinon is my opinion. It is something to try, if you don't like it toss in another carrier and back to open diffs.

Yes a lincon locker will chew your tires up if you are hard on them, you have to change your driving style a bit but I have already adjusted.

I still say it is worth trying.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Do you get some body roll when slowy turning with the rear welded like that? When I used to have the rear in mine welded rather than the tires chirping and slipping they would bite and it try to push the outer control arm forward. In order to do this it tilted the rig to the outside.

Judging by your sig, you have a 4dr, so thats a longer wheelbase, and 3" lift. Mine was sitting at 5.5" suspension from stock, and swb with sipped 31x10.5's, so maybe that was why I had more probs. Do you still have the swaybar up from with the calmini lift?

Have fun with the tire wear. The rear held up no prob in the kick, I wouldn't recomend welding the front though unless you have lots of spare IFS parts! :welder

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhhh tires are just part of the game. But yeah it will feather your tires. I still say it is worth it. I just hate the sound of a locker poping, it drives me nuts.

Hey MuddMachine you running a welded rear end?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Ryan, yeah it does load up the suspension abit going into corners, but mainly when I go to park(I have to hit reverse and then pull ahead to take the tension off the suspension.) The sway bar is just hanging there, I wasn't too sure if I wanted to run it or not. It will come out when I stuff my new axle tube in(I blew my stock one up, damn aluminum.) I have a Detroit to go in the front, it should be in fairly soon I'm just waiting to gusset my spare axle tube and get some cv joints. If that doesn't hold up then I am going to stuff a suzana axle from Trail Tough in next year and build a custom SAS. For now the lincon stays in until my 410 is finished(after that I have to hand the kick back over to the wife:rolleyes: )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts