BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all enjoying a great sunny day, :beer

I have a question about little ones and when can they start coming out to offroad with me.
My main concern is their safety re: neck
I apologize in advance if I type something really really dumb, but Ive never ever thought about this issue until just a few days ago. I am hoping some of you with kids can help me out.

Do we wait till they out grow the car seat?
Do they become a big distraction during extraction?
Do they seem to enjoy it more than dislike it?
Are there timid cruzes for people that cant and dont like to go hardcore?

Thanks so much for any feedback on the topic!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
if their in a good high back car seat with 4 point belts the kids are fine, plan your route and stick to trails that you drivin with out them first once you know the risks of the trail you can use good judgement on taking kids in. Generally the more the road tossed my daughter around the louder her laughing got. I've seen some parents put helments on there kids when the roads get challanging and I say thats a smart idea.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOOL, thats sounds great!!!

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey there, I'm no expert but here's my thoughts.
re neck: the car seat keeps their head from from flopping backwards which I think is the most dangerous for the 'shaken baby' thing. For the first year or so the rear facing car seat with a neck pillow will hold them in there pretty good, but you might want to take it easy. Once they are 1 or older I think their neck is strong enough. Our little guy is 2 now and he likes it when the vehicle shakes around - he starts laughing. Otherwise he is zoned out looking out the window and his behavior is probably better than at any other time:laugh

Main thing is to drive safe, have a relaiable vehicle, tell someone where you are going... all the usual safety stuff. It's just more important to actually do it if you are hauling the kids.

definately dont let having the kids around stop you from going out. They'll enjoy it and the fresh air puts them to sleep;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey there, I'm no expert but here's my thoughts.
re neck: the car seat keeps their head from from flopping backwards which I think is the most dangerous for the 'shaken baby' thing. For the first year or so the rear facing car seat with a neck pillow will hold them in there pretty good, but you might want to take it easy. Once they are 1 or older I think their neck is strong enough. Our little guy is 2 now and he likes it when the vehicle shakes around - he starts laughing. Otherwise he is zoned out looking out the window and his behavior is probably better than at any other time:laugh

Main thing is to drive safe, have a relaiable vehicle, tell someone where you are going... all the usual safety stuff. It's just more important to actually do it if you are hauling the kids.

definately dont let having the kids around stop you from going out. They'll enjoy it and the fresh air puts them to sleep;)
This 4x4 laughing effect is making me laugh :)
Its really great to hear that the kids seem to enjoy it alot!!!

Thanks GVN_erd

·
Registered
187 Posts
OK so I am old as dirt. But!!
When we had our last baby -- 23 years ago -- we went wheeling on the way home from the hospital. 3 days old!
We had her in the car seat with towels supporting her head. No chance to move her head or body.
Be warned she has no fear of anything ever since. She road on the Harley with us, jumps horses and climbed cliffs no problem.
The best way to keep a family a family is to involve everyone in your passion. They learn from you so teach them the right way first.

·
Registered
442 Posts
we were pretty careful and waited untill the kids were 2, then just made sure they were strapped in really well and didn't hit anything too crazy, the kids all loved it first time out.

gotta love hearing the kids laugh like crazy going though any little puddle or bump or seeing branches brush the side of the rig.

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
dont even sweat it. day 1 is fine. they're soft. they're maliable. hell, you can fold them up the way they came out of mummys belly and stick em in your backpack. youre not going to hurt them. their bones havent developed enough to actually break. an infant, nicely secured in their rear facing seat, they wont know the difference between a mall speedbump and a dirt road. roll up some towels and place beside their neck if you're concerned.

i take it this is your first? congrats :beer

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Kids love it, just lots of breaks for them when you are out there, and they come first when wheeling if at all possible so wheel with people that also have kids, it makes it way more fun, especially if there are no Fords around just imports ;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Kids love it, just lots of breaks for them when you are out there, and they come first when wheeling if at all possible so wheel with people that also have kids, it makes it way more fun, especially if there are no Fords around just imports ;)
Dont you own a ford!!!!!!!!!!!!

so is this why I never get to wheel with anyone cuz I have a ford ????

I wheeled with my kids when they where just days old and they loved it the rougher the better

·
Registered
602 Posts
my kids call it "the bumpy roads" and love it ! been doing it since they were born, we were camping within 3 months of both of my kids being born

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I love your views on this :)

We had our daughter out around 7 days old, just a minor trip through ryder lake logging road. She loves going out :)

OK so I am old as dirt. But!!
When we had our last baby -- 23 years ago -- we went wheeling on the way home from the hospital. 3 days old!
We had her in the car seat with towels supporting her head. No chance to move her head or body.
Be warned she has no fear of anything ever since. She road on the Harley with us, jumps horses and climbed cliffs no problem.
The best way to keep a family a family is to involve everyone in your passion. They learn from you so teach them the right way first.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the wonderful feedback, I really appreciate it!!!!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Yup, kids love the bumpy stuff. My 3 yr old girl doesn't want to ride in mommy's boring Grande Cherokee anymore. She want to ride in the "Black Jeep" ( Wrangler on 35's).

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Kids love it, just lots of breaks for them when you are out there, and they come first when wheeling if at all possible so wheel with people that also have kids, it makes it way more fun,
I agree with Danny, bring other kids along!

After my boy's first day fourwheeling, I asked what his favourite part of the day was. He said, "cutting snow with sticks." Earlier that day, on one of our breaks, he and Steve's kids were dragging sticks in the snow. That was his favourite part. Not 'wheeling with Daddy. *sniff*

...lars

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
bout a year old for me.. he loves daddy's truck... he wears ear protection from the BBC tho.

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
I agree with Danny, bring other kids along!

After my boy's first day fourwheeling, I asked what his favourite part of the day was. He said, "cutting snow with sticks." Earlier that day, on one of our breaks, he and Steve's kids were dragging sticks in the snow. That was his favourite part. Not 'wheeling with Daddy. *sniff*

...lars

.....just remember that your kids are going to be pretty much oblivious to risk, and won't react "normally" in that they'll have little sense of self-preservation....partly due to age, and partly due to circumstances of being pinned in a seat.

Eg:

They're strapped into their seats and won't be able to move out of the way should a stray branch come through a side widow. They'll get brained when you flop on your side and that small tool-box/flashlight that you failed to secure on the back floor comes hurtling at their little skull, etc..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
.....just remember that your kids are going to be pretty much oblivious to risk, and won't react "normally" in that they'll have little sense of self-preservation....partly due to age, and partly due to circumstances of being pinned in a seat.

Eg:

They're strapped into their seats and won't be able to move out of the way should a stray branch come through a side widow. They'll get brained when you flop on your side and that small tool-box/flashlight that you failed to secure on the back floor comes hurtling at their little skull, etc..
Good tips TY!!!

·
SNOWMAN
508 Posts
i have been taking my boy now aged 6 for the past few years, good belts and a helmet are a must as well as securing any objects in the rig incase of a roll. my boy has been in 4 flops and one roll will no issues and loves the hard stuff. just be safe and make sure your cage is tie in

1 - 20 of 24 Posts