BC 4x4 Forums banner

Kinda of technical

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Joe M 
#1 ·
Over the next yearor so I will be buying a 4.0ltr yj. I will then transfer all the stock parts to my 2.5ltr yj and all the modified parts to the 4.0ltr. Now I will have a stock jeep [everyday driver] And I will also have a 4.0ltr for the bush and light street. Here is my plan. Full width d60 rear and d44 front out of f250. Here is the technical part I want 4 wheel steer. I have bee thinking about using a rack and pinion style system for each end. I will be putting knuckles on the rear as well. But how would I keep it independant . Meaning I choose which end turns and which way, like a monster truck. Need input so I can start to design this and gather parts. I also will be running at the minimium a 39" bogger or swamper.

Jason

#3 ·
You'd need to go hydrolic for the rear, and it wouldn't hurt to have it in the front.

The "easiest" thing to do would have the steering wheel only control the front tires, then another wheel or something to move the rear.

#4 ·
The way most of the rockcrawlers with 4wheel steer work is a seperate switch which controls the rear wheels. As soon as you put rear steer on the truck is off-road only. Unless you are competing with the truck what's the point?

#5 ·
I think any truck with rearsteer becomes "offroad only." Unless you had some way to lock them strait with something like a big pin. It would be tooo unpredictable.

I would also stay away from full hydraulic in the front end. Maybe something more like hydraulic assist would be better and more streetable.

Later, good luck.

Ken S.

#6 ·
UnimogKen said:
I think any truck with rearsteer becomes "offroad only." Unless you had some way to lock them strait with something like a big pin. It would be tooo unpredictable.
Definitely. I would think long and hard about how much you really need this, even in a hard-core offroad vehicle. Is the rear steer feature enough to overcome the inherent weakness in having an additional pair of axle shaft u-joints in your driveline?

Also consider the fact that you'll need to buy a tow rig for your off-road Jeep. ;-) Now you're looking at three vehicles that you need to insure.

I would also stay away from full hydraulic in the front end. Maybe something more like hydraulic assist would be better and more streetable.
Within a week, we'll be posting a tech article by Mike Knorr featuring the "******* Ram" from West Texas Offroad. Basically, it uses a modified steering box to actuate a hydraulic ram that works concurrently with the regular steering. That way, you always have the safety of a fully mechanical linkage with the power of a ram.

...lars

#9 ·
In my opinion, rear steer is more of a hassle than a benefit. If you were going to put in a rear steer that you could use at speed, it would cost you TONS of time and money. Is it really worth it? Look at all of the insanely capable trucks out there already that don't have rear steer! With the money you invest in your steering, you could fund a bunch of much more practical mods! :D

But hey, what do I know, my TJ came with rear steer from the factory ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.