BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are they? What do they do? What is the difference between open and closed? Why does everyone want open knuckles? Can anyone post a pic so I can see what they look like?

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ

·
Registered
397 Posts
They're the part on the front axle that go between the ball joints and the spindle or bearing hub. Here's one of my old knuckles attached to the axle:

The part on the axle tube that connects to the knuckle is called a yoke, or knuckle yoke.

That knuckle (and all knuckles used on sub 1-ton domestic 4x4s since the early 70's) is an open knuckle. That basically means that you can see the u-joint from the outside. Closed-knuckle fronts are enclosed, and are common in older axles or HD ones. AFAIK, Japanese fronts that use Birfield or other types of CV joints are closed-knuckle, since those joints have to swim in grease.

Generally, the closed-knuckle fronts used on HD axles like the D70 have a limited turning radius, which makes them less desirable.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
1,269 Posts
They're on your hand, look down at your keyboard while typing

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Simply open knuckles are stronger than closed and easier to work on.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
145 Posts
my dana 60 is open but uses bearings instead of ball joints. the early closed dana 60 has coarse-spline axleshafts, which are weaker. most dana 70 fronts use the closed design. they also have a weak closed design and have only 23 spline shafts. also it is easier to see if a u-joint is about to puke. nothing to take apart if you want to see the joint. most closed use lower axle spline counts with smaller shafts. i choose opens.

steve

------------------
westcoast rockhuggers offroad club

1 - 5 of 5 Posts