BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was setting output shaft bearing pre-load on a non-split case today and it took a whole stack of shims before I got it right.
65 thou worth to be exact. But these are used bearings.
Anyone else had to use a pile of shims to get the pre-load back in spec?

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong here but does the front side bearing race sit against the extension housing on the LC case?
if you don't use the factory gaskets you can shift the bearing spacing enough to cause the rear (brake drum end) housing to need more shims to preload the taper rollers properly
mind you I havn't had a LC case apart for quite a few years
I like the NP205's waaaaay better.

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct Chris, the gaskets can make a difference.
That's why I ordered them from toyota,only to get gaskets that are way thicker than the original. Very poor quality for factory stuff.
So I had to use a whack of shims to get it back in spec. It was ok on disassembly though.
Will this cause the output shaft gears to be slightly mis-aligned?
I like NP205's also, but my spine can't take lifting those things around!!!

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
382 Posts
.065 is not too bad for gear misalignment .........actually it would be half that distance...
the only thing I would be concerned with is the engagement of the shift collar onto the low range gear
I rebuilt my LC case with a factory gasket set and I was totally happy with the results..........funny
The whole point of the 205 is you only need to lift it into the truck once.........after that the damn things just do not break....

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts