BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose ARB make lockers or OX lockers availabe for FJ40's if they are available? and will the toyota electric lockers work in FJ40's which should my friend use?????? and what are the prices for these lockers

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
ARB makes a locker for land cruisers, so does detroit.
But for all the money you could throw at a LC diff the best bang for the buck is a LockRite or a Detroit EZ Locker.
Landcruisers have a well built carrier so reliability isn't an issue unless your running 39's and a big block.
And best of all you can install it on the driveway in an hour!
After a while you will hardly notice it at all on the street.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

[This message has been edited by dp (edited January 14, 2002).]

·
Registered
163 Posts
well that's interesting, so then it's the carrier that generally causes failures in lockrights is it? or contributes at least?
cause I'd love to have one, but was worried it would make me regret it.
I only have 33's on my cruiser and don't have too heavy a foot, ah well who'm I kidding, like I have an extra 500 bucks kicking around anyways

------------------
nothin that works

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If your diff is healthy, go for it.
With these lockers, they are only as strong as the carrier their in.
Unlike a Detroit, which is a full case locker.
But since a Land Cruiser has such a stout carrier, it makes a great candidate for a Lockrite ect.
I've been to the BHCC rally in South Dakota 3 times now and almost all of those rock crawlers are running them, no one I've talked to has had a failure yet.
I'm not saying it won't happen to anyone, but if you maintain you diffy it probably won't be you.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
163 Posts
well I like the sound of that, damn if these things I want keep piling up, I'll have already spent my paychecks for the next year!
but since we're on the subject of diffs, how much play should there be in a pinion.
well maybe play is the wrong word, but on one that is setup right, how much can you rotate the driveshaft back and forth before feeling the gears catch?
just installed my front dshaft yesterday, and was noticing that the front diff seems to have a bit more slop than I would think is correct.

------------------
nothin that works

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My friend is going to do a resto on a FJ40 and wants the best for the snow and 4wheelin and since he's putting in so much money might as well get the best or is it worth it. Which lockers will stand up to a 6.2L chev diesel with a th700r 35" big-o-M/Ts and a lead foot 18 year old. which ones will stand up and which wont. are Ox lockers available and will toy electric work??

------------------

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Feeling "slop" like that can be quite normal.
Only by removing the diff can you check backlash, which should be about 5 to 8 thou.
Your just feeling all the play in the spider gears. As long as your pre-load on the pinion bearing is ok I'd just leave it alone unless you have a reason for pulling it.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The ARB will take it. I have a friend with an FJ45 powered by a 6.5 Turbo deisel and 700R4 tranny,ARB's front and rear, And he also has a heavy foot.
He has had no breakage in 3 years.
But I'd say the Detroit is just as, maybe more stout , and simple with no lines or O-rings to fail. But thats just my opinion.
But the ARB will be superior on an icy road when you can unlock it.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

[This message has been edited by dp (edited January 14, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for the help and when he gets around to putting in the engine He might need some pointers so if you have any, I was wondering What transfer case did your friend run and is it fast for a 4x4 that is, whats the gas milege like and where is the gas tank. Does he have any regrets, any info would be great.

------------------

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If your buddy wants to talk to him I'll give you his number.
He's running the stock t-case and 4.11 gears.
He gets decent milage for such a large truck and leaves me sucking those nasty deisel fumes on the highway.
I'll get more info from him, but he didn't build it, he paid someone to build it for him so his answers may or may not be helpful to your friend.

------------------

·
Registered
802 Posts
If your friend wants to do snow runs, he WILL want a locker he can shut off. Consider a sidehill, lockers on, and his tires spiralling towards the low side of the trail. Unlocked diffs allow the non-powered tire to act like a guide, instead of breaking loose. He should try before he buys; take a vehicle with an automatic locker out onto a snow-covered sidehill, then compare it to a vehicle with command lockers.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts