BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an on and off vibration around 100klm an hour but nothing at 80klm or 110klm.. not sure if its the U-Joint or not... I just bought the jeep and the U-Joint looks pretty brand new, and I popped the clutch a couple days ago (was mad and made a scene) would that have made an impact on my U-Joint??
Also.. when I start from a stop, I hear a 'clunk' coming from the back... I'm thinking it might even be the U-joint... but also could be the U-joint.

------------------
Soon to be a 4.0L Cherokee

·
Registered
102 Posts
sounds like the u-joint to me.

park the jeep in neutral and put the e-brake on.
climb under there and grab ahold of the drivehshaft and give her a shake.
if it's the u-joint you'll know.
there will be way to much play

I got good at replacing u-joints...

don't drive with it like that or you may have the same problem as me and have to replace the entire transfer case.

good luck
RJ

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just for those who were wondering, I finally balanced my tires and my rear driver side tire had an imbalance of 10.5 ounces... SO.. I'm going to get a new rim for that side and check that.

------------------
'89 4.0L Cherokee Laredo

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the same kind of problem. From about 61-65 mph my entire jeep shakes. Slower or faster and it stops. I'm not even close to calling myself a mechanic so I have no idea. I never thought about the wheel being unbalanced though.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The U-joints look, and feel brand new when I got underneath a couple days ago.
I've yet to find out if the new rim will make a difference. I'm going to get another tire of the same brand from some used tire place and see if it might be a tire seperation too. but its definately wayyyy out of balance and would be the reason why I'm getting such a bad vibration.

------------------
'89 4.0L Cherokee Laredo

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
If the vibration is enough to shake your whole vehicle, I would suspect an out of balance tire rather than a u-joint...unless the u-joint is REALLY bad and that should be obvious with a visual check. For smaller vibrations, though, you can never discount the u-joint unless you remove the driveshaft and inspect the joints. I have had several fail that looked and felt perfectly fine when the driveshaft was bolted up.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.