BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Chump
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
East? West?

This may be very basic geography but I am not sure of the answer (blame the public school system).

I am getting the Lat-Long co-ordinates for places I will be staying at/visiting in Europe over the next 2.5 weeks. I am using a simple etrex Summit with no computer software (or even a cable), no big deal as I am trying to learn a few things with it before I get into any deeper ($$).

I enter the address of where I will be into http://www.maporama.com/ and it spits out a map and the co-ordinates. This works well for getting a good idea where the local landmarks are in relation to your hotel. I feel this may help me not get ripped off by taxi cabs, and stop me from driving in the completely wrong direction with the rental car. I did this when I went to California in the spring and it worked out OK. Amuses me if nothing else.

Here is an example of my hotel in London.
Lat-Long: 51° 30' 3" , 0° 11' 22"

I enter it like this in my etrex and it tells me it is 7606 km from my house.
N 51° 30' 3.0"
W 0° 11' 22.0"

I enter it like this in my etrex and it tells me it is 7621 km from my house.
N 51° 30' 3.0"
E 0° 11' 22.0"

Should I be set on the East for Eurpoean co-ordinates? Is there a line at which my W should change to E? If so where is it?

I have entered all my co-ordinates for the trip in my unit as W, but have not checked all of them to see the difference. I would like to know which one to use. I feel confident that the N setting is correct :******* FYI my coordinates include London, Paris, Amsterdam, Denmark and Sweden currently, with some Western Germany to be entered still.

Thanks,

Jordan

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
The following has been stolen from: http://www.spiritoffreedom.com/definitions.html

Latitude

Latitude lines are imaginary circles on the globe that run parallel to the equator. The equator is a circle halfway between the North and South Poles, and is defined as zero latitude. For science data, latitudes north of the equator are positive, whereas latitudes south of the equator are negative. The poles are at 90 and –90 degrees latitude, respectively, for the North Pole and the South Pole. Latitude values in the Bud Light Spirit of Freedom data files are determined by the GPS instrument. Latitude is given in degrees and decimal minutes for reporting of the balloon's position on the Bud Light Spirit of Freedom home page.

Longitude

Longitude lines are imaginary lines that connect the North and South Poles. Longitude is divided into 360 degrees. The 0 degree longitude (the Prime Meridian) was selected by international agreement to pass through the observatory at Greenwich, England. Historically, both east and west directions have been called positive, so it is best to always specify whether the longitude is east or west of the prime meridian. For science data, east longitudes are given as positive values and west longitudes are negative values. Longitude values in the payload data files are determined by the GPS instrument. Longitude is given in degrees and decimal minutes for reporting of the balloon's position on the Bud Light Spirit of Freedom home page.
So, the value should be entered as EAST because it is a positive LON. BTW, since the Prime Meridian goes through Greenwich, England, that explains why entering it EAST and WEST results in a relatively small change in distance from you.

...lars:read

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Chump
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lars said:

So, the value should be entered as EAST because it is a positive LON. BTW, since the Prime Meridian goes through Greenwich, England, that explains why entering it EAST and WEST results in a relatively small change in distance from you.

...lars:read
Prime Meridian! Duh! :*******

Thanks for taking me to school. :read

1 - 3 of 3 Posts