BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference between the two I thaught that the ring gear is bigger in the LC and the birfs are the same?? what about the axles and housing??

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
ring gears are larger, axles and birfs are pretty much the same. housings are same width..... I think

As for the rear, A rear LC is Huge compared to a mini truck but has c-clip

------------------
jeeps are for girls...
....cute ones!!
79 FJ cocked,locked and ready to unload!!!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about trussing?

------------------

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The LC front doesn't need any trussing, it's probably 50% heavier.
The ring gear is over 9 inches, pinion and bearings are much larger. Axles and birfs are the same diameter on the front, it was cheaper to base the mini on existing components than make an entirely new front end.
The cruiser front axle was used in 1 ton FJ45's.
I've lifted both (with help) around my garage and the cruiser axle must out weigh the mini by a hundred pounds.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
163 Posts
yeah it's funny how you get used to the size of the cruiser ones, I was at NSOR the other day, and they have that dressed up j**p outside with the snorkel and all the other bells and whistles.
I didn't even notice at first, till the girl I was with said, "oh my god look at the size of it's front axle"
christ the thing is barely any bigger than my tierod!!!

------------------
nothin that works

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it would be worth doing a spring over and adding disk brakes to the LC front axle than use an 85 front out of a toyota PU and put it in a FJ40, the LC front seems stronger.

------------------

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Are you thinking of putting the LC axle in a mini? Or a mini axle in a FJ40?
The engine and tranny in a 40 weigh about a 1000 lbs, almost 3 mini engines.
You will bend the mini axle just driving on the street.
But I've never seen a cruiser axle in a mini.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cruiser diffs are 8 7/8", mini's are 8". The birfs and axles are same size, but the cruiser axles have better heat treating. The only drawback to the cruiser axles is the lowest gears you can get are 488s. Overall the cruiser axles are better if you can find one for a decent price. The housings on both aren't super strong, but the cruiser's definitely stronger than the mini.

------------------
IFS- Shouldn't that be a four letter word?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I thought that the pre 80's birfs were a lot weeker then the newer mini birfs?? but I think that may only apply to the mini birfs and not cruisers. Isn't cruiser rear end better then a dana 44 strength wise, and more clearence then a 60.

------------------
86 4-Runner STILL stock

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Cruiser ring gears and axle shafts are about the same size as a dana 60.
Definately stronger than a dana 44.

------------------

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help I was just trying to help my friend out with his FJ40 he wants to put a 6.2 diesel in it and a frame off resto, and I thaught that if you ran a mini in place of the cruiser front than you would have more lockers available, not have to do a spring over and have disk brakes but the mini doesen't seem strong enough so he'll go with the cruiser front.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
You can get 5:29s for cruisers now

------------------
jeeps are for girls...
....cute ones!!
79 FJ cocked,locked and ready to unload!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you get the right year cruiser 79-81 (I think) you should be able to get 4:10s or 3:73s and the disc brake front end. Why a diesel??????

------------------
IFS- Shouldn't that be a four letter word?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My friend wants the torgue and fuel milege something you don't get with a chev 350 when the price of gas is so much. I'd rather a chev 350 though!

------------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts