BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there was a site on the net that i could find out whats leagal as far as frame welding and suspension mods.I will be re-doin my rear suspension soon and wanted to do it right the first time, i dont have a welding ticket but i can do the job.Just tryin to cover myself!

·
Registered
136 Posts
northtoy said:
I was wondering if there was a site on the net that i could find out whats leagal as far as frame welding and suspension mods.I will be re-doin my rear suspension soon and wanted to do it right the first time, i dont have a welding ticket but i can do the job.Just tryin to cover myself!
you do not need to be a certified welder to weld on frames,, scary, but true..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do you have a source for that? Because I know people who weld for a living and still won't touch a frame. Everything I've heard/read has said it needs to be doen by a certified shop/welder. I found this out when I had and inspection a couple years back.

Corey

·
Registered
136 Posts
'80Toad said:
Do you have a source for that? Because I know people who weld for a living and still won't touch a frame. Everything I've heard/read has said it needs to be doen by a certified shop/welder. I found this out when I had and inspection a couple years back.

Corey
a bodyman that does structural integrity tests, told me and my friend,, my friend is a certified welder, he shortend his s10 frame, and wanted to know the legality...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: Re: Leagality

D.O.A said:

you do not need to be a certified welder to weld on frames,, scary, but true..
Anybody can welder on a frame but if you get VI you will have to go for a structural integrity test. Those are very hard to pass.

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Leagality

mike c said:

Anybody can welder on a frame but if you get VI you will have to go for a structural integrity test. Those are very hard to pass.

If it's been done by a certified welder the vehicle inspector can pass it based on the welder being certified though. I think the point of the inspection is to offload the liability/lay blame on someone else. This is my understanding from a vehicle inspector but it's confusing as hell.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Leagality

mike c said:

what is hard about it? the body man looks it over,, makes sure it is actual metal, not bondo put over the rust holes.. they are simple......... very simple.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i placed angle iron on my frame near the gas tank, im not certifed i had a few :beer 's during the process and it passed a VI inspection

1 - 8 of 8 Posts