BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some trick, or something that you should or shouldn't do to get the axle seals to seal properly?? a friend's were leaking so I helped him change them (also installed new bearings at the time). Now after just a short time later they are leaking again. We cleaned everything real well, made sure that the bearings were seated proplerly and went by the book on it but once again out comes the oil.

·
Basic Baboon
183 Posts
Hello!

Not knowing what you've already tried, I'll list what I can think of.

1. Did you use the right seals? There's a few different seals, based upon axle shaft and bearing size.

2. Are the seals installed the right way? (I.e., not backwards?)

3. Are the seal surfaces in the housing and on the shafts okay? Sometimes, a bad bearing job in the past goobers up the seal surfaces; especially on the shaft.

4. Is the breather vent working? If it's plugged, the air pressure buildup when the axle gets warmed up can blow out lub.

5. Are you putting in too much lube?

How fast is the oil coming out? Is it drip-drip-drip, or a trickle, or something else? That might give us some other clues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips, we cleaned the surfaces really well and made sure that there was no remaining material from the old seals left. The local parts store did have us confused about the bearings because they had at least four different type of bearings for a 31 spline 9" but the ones that we got were a perfect fit and the seals looked like they were fine. I'll tell him to check the breather tube and the fluid level. Hopefully there is something easy, I know he doesn't want to do them again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
COULD BE THAT YOUR REAR END IS NOT STRAIGHT, ALSO COULD HAVE SOME SLOP WHERE THE BEARING RIDES IN THE HOUSING. I PUT SPEEDY SLEEVES ON MY AXLES AND IT HELPS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts