BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:confused: I have a 95 Wrangler with an AX 5 that is leaking at the transmission input shaft. This is the second one to do it. The first one developed problems with second gear and started leaking about 2 weeks into using it. I did replace the pilot bearing with a Mopar one from the local Jeep dealer. The cluctch is only 2 years old and has ~40K miles on it (also Mopar).

The second one runs much better, but started leaking almost imediately (a couple of trips up and down the cove I live in). The seal is new.

The guy where I got the rebuilts from said that my clutch is causing the shaft to wobble.

I did notice when I took the retainer off to verify that it has a new seal, the seal was pressed all the way into the plate where it makes contact with the throw out bearing slide (external slave cylinder). I did use a gasket on the the plate (they had only used black RTV).

I am tired of pulling this transmission out and don't have the money to let someone else do it. I want to fix it and be done with it. Any ideas?

I also used Exxon Superflo 80 W 90 gear oil to fill the tranny.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:angry Now it is leaking from somewhere in the back of the tranny. THEY are going to look at it this time. I think it is the output shaft seal (somewhat easy to replace). The original tranny did that to me about 2 years ago and when I replaced the clutch I replaced the output shaft seal and all the ones on the transfer case.

I don't think I'll ever by something from them that they have had their hands in.

I am starting to wonder if I shouldn't have rebuilt the darn thing like I had originally planned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts