BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it's leaking in from under the dash while you're driving then it's probably coming in around the seal where the windshield frame contacts the front cowl. If it's an '85 then fold the windshield forward and put some caulking along the bottom of the frame.

HTH,
Robin.

·
Registered
185 Posts
mine does the same thing.... went out one morning hopped in and put my foot down into 2inches of water...... needless to say the drainplugs stay out right now

------------------
Stock 1985 Suzuki Samurai(WRITE OFF BY ICBC)
Now driving a 1988(1/2) Suzuki Samurai

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same with me. I have a hard time squeezing my 6'10" frame under the dash to see where its coming from. Mabye I`ll fix it if I put toyota running gear in it. My 2 bits

·
Registered
412 Posts
*slosh* "SHRIEK!!!"
ahh, that familiar sound of water as it proceeds from one side of the windshield frame to the other, while making a sharp left, and onto the girlfriend's feet.
mine has leaked ever since brand new when i bought it in '91.
-i have caulked the windshield lower frame where it meets the bulkhead.
-i have taped over the air intake slots in front of the windshield.
-i have siliconed around the wiper mounts.
-i have siliconed around the radio antenna mounts.
-i have siliconed over the meeting edges of the telescoping antenna sections themselves
-i have siliconed around the little bolt holes where the earlier models mount the windshield tie down bracket.
-i have siliconed the bolts and brackets that hold the hinges for the windshield frame.
i have added duct tape stayfree freekin maxi pad wings onto the windshield frame/door contact areas.
the result of over 12 stinkin' YEARS of trying to solve this?

a while ago i installed an alarm in my sammy. while i was mucking around with the wiring near the fuse box, i thought "gee, y'know, i'll just have another closer look at the repairs done under warrantee way, way back in '92.
[while on the "Sea to Sky" HWY, at night, in the p***ing rain, my headlights went *poof* and out. needless to say, this was an.......interesting experience.
the water leaking in went directly into the wiring harness plugs for headlights/turn sigs etc.(which is also just above the FUSE box)
the harness plugs were all shorted out and melted, requiring snipping and splicing in new connectors.]
i had been blissfully ignoring those repairs since, but when gutting all the wires, found scads more that had not been repaired, and were mega melted,corroded and ready to self terminate!
i found water INSIDE THE ELECTRICAL TAPED WIRE LOOM ALL THE WAY UP TO THE GROMMET IN THE FIREWALL!!! water was literally dripping out of the loom while i was undoing the OEM tape! GAH!
made all new connections,soldered,mummified the lot in heatshrink tubing and gooped dielectric grease everywhere.
the only thing that has ever seemed to have any effect whatsoever, was to park with one of the front tires on one of those car ramp thingies.(just one, not two and it doesn't matter which side)sigh.

ps- i know for a fact that water somehow gets into the windshield frame itself, because i have seen water dripping out of both the holes at either side where the radio antenna goes through the frame/bulkhead.(the reason there are holes on BOTH sides is because in right hand drive countries, the antenna is mounted on the right side of the windshield frame.)

[This message has been edited by lane smith (edited March 13, 2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts