BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i just got a 4W LED AAA powered unit for a present. its made by rayovac. this thing is most impressive. apparently just came to the market. not even on their website yet.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
fleshlights are best measured in lumens output. watts don't mean much.

dorcy is usually ahead of the game when it comes to led tech flashlights. i had one of their 200 lumen lights but i lost it a while back.

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL. ok doode just go with the flow. its a 4 w single led and it friking hurt my eye so i'm not looking at it anymore. well maybe once more.

·
Registered
602 Posts
you should see teh one I bolt onto my bars for night mtb rides ;)
900lumins

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
There are only two LED flashlights that have stolen my heart.

My Photon Light Fusion (head lamp):

and my Gerber Infinity:

Well, three if you count my Photon Microlight which I always have with me since it fits on my key ring:

I like the first 2 lights primarily because they use AA batteries. I hate having to use AAA's since most of my other electronic stuff uses AA.

They're bright enough for the uses I need them for. The Fusion also has a red LED and can convert to a handheld light very easily.

So far, the brightest LED flashlight I've bought is some cheapie that Revy is selling for $6. It has like 10 or so LEDs and is very bright. Great for leaving in the drawer near the front door for power outtages and stuff. But my 4-yr old daughter has been keeping it in her room these past few nights.
Maybe I should get her that Dorcy diving light. ;)

...lars

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Good info. I keep buying crappy ones. My latest looks like a good one, but ya gotta beat it to make it work. I use them at work for lining up pipe and fittings when it's dark out and sucks to have one that's not up to the job. I have a single led pencil style that's been real good to me and fit's in my chest pocket on my Carharts.

Where do you buy Dorcy?

·
Following in the footprints of BC's history
4,911 Posts
I've gone through several, had an AWESOME 3w single bulb LED mini flashlight before that was easily as bright as my 3 cell Maglight (3w LED as well) but in a very small aluminum housing, but it uses CR123 lithium camera batteries which cost around $12-15/pair... at the rate that it ate batteries (a set a month easily, usually 2), I stopped feeding it pretty quickly. It now sits on my computer desk as an emergency flashlight.

My current carry light is one of those cheapy $8 1w 2 AA single bulb LED mini flashlights I grabbed one time in the grocery store on my way out camping, because I carry a couple dozen AA batteries in my truck at any given time since my digital camera uses them too. Its not quite as bright, but it gets the job done just as well - and the best part is that I only have to change the batteries once every other month and AAs are cheap! The only thing I dislike about that particular light is that its a twist-on style, instead of a push button, so it works its way on all the time in its pouch. I usually end up changing the batteries more because it sits on for hours on end, rather than dying in use, but it still only kills the batteries every couple months. For me, its been far more valuable than the expensive, ultra bright one that collects dust at home. Just my .02 LR

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
For me, its been far more valuable than the expensive, ultra bright one that collects dust at home. Just my .02 LR
Exactly! I refuse to buy flashlights that use those expensive, not-available-everywhere batteries.

The Gerber is a rarity because it is one of the very few single AA LED lights I've been able to find. I wanted single AA because I wanted it small for travelling or carrying in my camera bag.

A flashlight that you're more likely to have with you (and keep fed with batteries) is going to be more useful, even if it's not as bright.

...lars

·
4,911 Posts
Thats why I've personally used Cannon cameras as well, its easy to find AAs for it just about anywhere (even if it eats them a little faster than a dedicated lithium unit), plus when the batteries died its quick to swap them out vs waiting for it to charge.

I've also prefered single bulb LEDs vs multiple bulbs, but thats my personal preference (from my personal experience, multiple are more like a flood beam whereas a single is more like a spot beam, which has served me a little better personally). I also don't mind having a little less light with a 1w bulb and a lot more battery life. For hiking, however, the extra power of the 3w is much more handy for lighting up the trail though I'll admit. LR

·
Registered
908 Posts
I thought they have been out for a while. I think they are $30 at Cdn Tire. And you can buy conversion bulbs for older lights.

·
4,911 Posts
I thought they have been out for a while. I think they are $30 at Cdn Tire. And you can buy conversion bulbs for older lights.
Dumb thing is that the LED bulb to convert your Maglight costs darn near as much as a 3 cell complete flashlight with the LED bulb already in it (IIRC, I paid $25 for my LED 3 cell at CT on sale a couple of years ago, the LED bulb itself at Home Depot was around $18). I imagine that the prices have changed now, but they do sell the single 3 watt LED bulbs for them and they are worth having IMO. I find that the beam is much clearer and far brighter. LR

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.