BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont believe that rear bumpers are required on suv's and trucks, I sell Toyota's and the rav 4's don't have them.

------------------
84 4runner 4"susp, 3"body, 35"m/ts, header with flow master containing a few patches, a little duct tape here and there,cb, in need of motor and body work

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd be the first to tell u that but the point was SUV'S and trucks

------------------
84 4runner 4"susp, 3"body, 35"m/ts, header with flow master containing a few patches, a little duct tape here and there,cb, in need of motor and body work

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bumpers

The centerline of the bumper must fall within 380 to 560 mm above ground for cars and the lowest part must be 750 mm (29.5")high or less for trucks weighing 4500 kg or less. The width of the bumper must be at least equal to the track width of the vehicle, and the horizontal surface must be at least 100 mm in width.

(This is from the Central Island Highway Patrol Website.)

And one thing to note is that SUV's are not trucks. They are rated as passenger vehicles and would have to follow the rules for cars. That is why they have car plates and not truck plates. Same goes for jeeps and sammi's.

------------------
94 Ranger
29" tires
Nice looking Herculiner bedliner.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I dont have a rear bumper... Is that legal?

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires 1" body lift
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Registered
35 Posts
a buddy of mine had a v.i. and all he needed
was a front bumper. rear is not nessary for the v.i.

------------------
Northern Extream 4x4 Club
82 F/S jimmy w/454 big block
always get me on ch 37
"GO BIG OR GO HOME"

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Vehicles that were produced with a bumper must still be equipped with a bumper. If not the original style, then it must provide substantially the same protection as the original.

Trucks are a special case in that if they were manufactured without a rear bumper, then one is not required to be installed. You can show that it was produced without one by the appropriate option code on the sticker on the back of the glovebox door.

If you cannot do this, then it was made with a bumper and it still must be installed.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey Skidmark, while on the topic of having and not having. what about this. If you have a jeep with removable doors and remove them, technicaly can you not be fined. Meaning the jeep came with them as part of the vehicle and a [safety factor] don't you require to have them left on..

Jason

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000
SOA coming in Jan bye bye body lift hello 8" suspension lift

[This message has been edited by jason-ramsey (edited December 07, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Same thing in this case a with bumpers. If the vehicle was produced with doors, you are not allowed to operate on a highway without them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Except CJ's. My Cj5 is registered as dual purpose, and you have to have the soft top on to have the doors on. Plus I think CJ5's had optional doors. My YJ on the other hand, I'm supposed to have doors on.. Not that I do when I'm not supposed to
You know, beautiful weather.. Doors are just wrong.. Been LUCKY so far.. no tickets for that yet.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Thanks very much for the Christmas wishes RedXJ, the same back to you!

GregW, you (and a lot of others) missed the point. If the vehicle was made with doors, you must always have the doors on when operating on a highway. It is NOT if the doors were optional, because if the door option was chosen they must always be installed. Make sure you keep the option sticker on your vehicle intact so that you can point to the code showing that the vehicle was manufactured without doors.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
The Act and Regulations speak about suspension height, which I suppose ultimately results in a change in frame height.

What you need to worry about after wholesale changes is the height of other items that go along with the frame such as bumpers, headlights, taillights, brakelights, driving lights and your significant other's ability to get in and out to ride with you.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by skidmark:
and your significant other's ability to get in and out to ride with you.
That is the important one

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.