BC 4x4 Forums banner

Legalities on an IFS to SFA swap

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Lil' blue Yoyo 
#1 ·
Hey ya'all. It's been a while since I've posted. Heck, I'm still a chimp. Heh heh. I figured that this to be the best place to post my question...I leave this to the moderators to decide however. I would like to know how many others out there have completed an SFA swap from IFS on a vehicle with Anitlocks.. and got around all the nonsense with the MV act. So far I've hit one wall after another to pull this off with my unit, (1994 Sonoma) the biggest problem being the Anitlock brakes up front. I've been told by more than one official now that this still must be in place on the SFA, due to the Federal Standards which require this system to be a fully functioning component on my truck for it's year. Have I been getting smoke blown up my cornholio or is this true. If so, what are the options? nybody know??

------------------
Pi$$ on the ceiling... Any ******* can Pi$$ on the floor.

#2 ·
Is there much difference between and axle with abs and an axle without abs? can you not bolt any sensors from you ifs to the solid axle? Try finding a solid axle from a truck that has abs. Sorry I don't know much about the legalities, but I'm sure that if the truck was built with abs then it must have it on the new axle.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

#3 ·
So far, the problem there is finding an axle with the ABS system, as well set up to run at the same revolution as my existing system,and finding an axle with a 61 inch or so track. Not an easy find so far, without getting one that's close and hacking it down to fit. Big $$$$$$. Taking my sensors and swapping them over doesn't seem to be an option either. Dana 30's and 44's are a plenty for me to find, but no ABS or ABS compatability is there.

------------------

#4 ·
I don't know if it'll work with your system but, YJ and XJ's had optional abs on a D30 front axle (not sure when it was an option and when it became standard equipped) if you find the right axle a knuckle swap may solve your problem.

------------------
81 Bronco 33s
92 YJ 31s
84 Bronchial spasm

#5 ·
Would it be possible to fabricate brackets to mount the sensors on?( I don't know how they are mounted on the axle). I think the jeep axle is a good idea. They shoould be about the right size for your truck.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

#6 ·
Jeep axles would definitely work on my rig for sure... and as funny as this sounds, this is the first time I've heard about the optional ABS that came with those axles.

So far I haven't come across one in the bonyards with the ABS. THe problem with swapping my existing system over to a different axle are the teeth that are located in my existing hub that act as the "speedo" for the sensors... those couldn't be swapped. Hey thanks for your advice guys... maybe my SFA dream hasn't died as of yet.

------------------

#7 ·
I just unplugged all that crap, brakes work better now anyway, now I know when I'm gonna stop. I'd say find a shop that does inspections and go talk to them before hand about it, if they dont care about the ABS your home free, do the swap and take it there for a VI.

#8 ·
I asked about this to one of the guys at a local shop. They said they would not fail a vehicle with ABS for not having it functioning.

Like monzter said, find a shop that doesn't care about the ABS and take it there for inspection.

------------------
Leo
'01 Ford Ranger, BFG M/T's, custom dents and westcoast pinstriping, otherwise completely stock.
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

[This message has been edited by 1badfordtruck (edited January 19, 2002).]

#9 ·
Yeah, I guess that's what I gotta do. Things are done by the book around here that's for stinkin sure. I swear that half this area I live in are employed road warriors. My shock squeaks pulling up to a chicken coop, and all the mirrors come flying out of their pockets.

------------------

#10 ·
I know that yj's 93 and up had the option of ABS. If your wires could be wired into the yj's sensor it may work. The way jeeps work is on the outer shaft there is a gear and the sensor is bolted on the knuckle. I have a 93 yj d30 in my sonoma but I did away with all the sensors, plus my truck didn't have ABS. Im not sure if it has to be set up differently with bigger tires. Sorry if I don't make sense.

Is this Hay from s10-4x4.org
Its Donkeyloaf

#11 ·
Yep... I'm the same Hay from the S-10 site. I'm trying to wrangle up as much as I can on this ABS problem, and yes, your reply made complete sense, thanks. I found the same info the other day as well - about the ABS system in the D30. This got me going on finding out compatability, and where I got another "flat tire". Went to a Dodge tech here and asked how the system would match up. Word is highly unlikely. But I got him interested as well and the nice thing about this is he's willing to look in to it a little more for me. Gotta catch him friday to see what he finds for info. Either way, I'll take the avice of monzter and badford... find a shop willing to pass the inspection, or can the SFA idea and install that TM kit I've got coming. By the way, this is a great site and I appreciate all the advice.

------------------

#12 ·
How about getting it inspected before you do the swap???? Might work? I thought that all the speed sensors on chev's were in the t-case! What does all the ABS entail as far as diff, sensors, etc.,?
Highly unlikely just means you have to be resourceful. I've got a buddy who wanted to swap a 455olds to his cruiser 4spd and the guys at the machine shop told him "you're gonna have to start it with a hand crank. It'll never work." A month later it was a happening thing.

------------------
IFS- Shouldn't that be a four letter word?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.