BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'lo all,

Well, it's time for me to decide how I want to spend my money. I've done a lot of research over the net, but still can't make up my mind on the type of lift that's best for me. I'm debating between going coils or SPOA with a shackle reversal, I thought I'd turn to y'all for your wisdom.

Vehicle is an '88 sami, intend to drop in a 1.6L and 31" tires, I would prefer not to put gears in it. The vehicle will NOT be a rockcrawler. The intention is to use the sami as a short, narrow, prerunner type vehicle. It will be used primarily on gravel roads, logging roads, river and creek beds to go camping, fishing and hunting.

Cost isn't that important, but it is a consideration. Thos of you who have experience with different sami lifts - what would you do?

David

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have done some different lift, and currently im running 4"bds springs spoa and extended shackles, on toy axles with a twin cam, and 35" thornbirds
Im goin for the 4" cj lifted springs in the front and 4" lift tj coils in the rear with a 4 link setup.
from what ive been told coils are the way to go. just my $.02

·
Registered
56 Posts
I run a 3 link coil set up in mine and wouldn't go back to leaf springs..But i use mine alot for wheelin and it's set up for wheel travel not rippin down the gravel roads..I would say from my personal experience that just running a spring over would be the best thing for a lot of gravel road driving as it will handle better around the corners, I can't take corners as good as i used to be able to when i ran spring over with cj springs..
Just my 2 cents...

Jay

------------------
Custom $12 Camo paint job
http://www.coastcustoms.com

·
Registered
67 Posts
Originally posted by kicker_92:
Don't have any experiance working on a vehicle for that type of thing. It would seem though that your mainly just looking for long travel but stable suspension to soak up the potholes etc. Might want to check out the guys down south doing desert running for some ideas.

I'm wondering what SPOA is like on windy roads with bumps, coils might be the way to go, but what do the guys use for rally racing trucks? (any setups with a solid axle used?)
Well if moola isn't a big deal go with a coil setup, it will absorb the pot holes and what have you alot better than the leafs, and you will also be able to go into some stickier situations with less worries, if money was tight go with some yj springs softer and longer travel....

------------------
85 sammi long box, 4 corner, 4 link coil suspension, Toy diffs, 35"swampers

G

·
If speed is what you like as mentioned by your prerunner statement I would think twice about the coils.They are great slow but do offer a lot of sway even with good shocks.Also if you do a springover and a reversal you will be quite high and this could result in some instability especially with only 31" tires.If you do plan on going this route perhaps some toy diffs would in order and the plus is you get 4.10 gears so power won't be as much of a problem for some 33's.

------------------
If it's too deep go faster

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by rob:
If speed is what you like as mentioned by your prerunner statement I would think twice about the coils.They are great slow but do offer a lot of sway even with good shocks.Also if you do a springover and a reversal you will be quite high and this could result in some instability especially with only 31" tires.If you do plan on going this route perhaps some toy diffs would in order and the plus is you get 4.10 gears so power won't be as much of a problem for some 33's.

It isn't so much speed as the ability to handle "pre-runner type" terrain with some sort of composure. As far as stability goes, with the SPOA I was planning on going with the warrior shackel reversal which only adds something like an inch of height. Combined with 15X8 rims with a good offset, I figured I'd be wide enough so that the height wouldn't negatively affect the handling... does this make sense?

For those that are commenting on how poor coils are, are you running a panhard bar or not?

David

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
394 Posts
FWIW, you don't need a SOA or coils to run 31s.

I'm using 1" lift shackles, and a set of Jeep CJ lift springs as add-a-leafs. This gives me enough room to fit 31s on 15x7(8?) rims.

The ride is fine, and flexes well (850 on 20 degrees with stock shocks).

A set of CJ front springs in the rear, and move the rear springs to the front would give more length in the springs which would give a better ride and flex as well. You could also do YJ springs all around. A little more work, but would be even better flex and ride.

------------------
jo-jo
http://island4x4.com

[This message has been edited by jo-jo (edited April 19, 2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts