BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here is what I was quoted.
But before I say that - I want to explain my plan.
3-4" lift. 33" tires.
However, I have stock axles and 3.57 gears. Will this really beat on the axle to have 33s?

I really dont want to go out and 500 bucks on a new rear axle for the upgrade - so if I can technically get by, I would like to.
If not, looks like I need to research this more:

1)BDS Jeep 3.5" lift system complete with 4 BDS shocks and pitman arm is
worth : $973.25

2)Explorer Pro Comp 4" lift system with ProComp ES3000 shocks and pitman arm
is worth : $1,100.20

3)Skyjacker 3.5" lift system with Skyjacker shocks and pitman arm is worth :

What do you think? I figure about $400 for installation with the help of friends and a mechanic @ shop.
So $1,500 for the lift itself.
Tires are a non issue.
But if I need an axle swap, or TWO axle swaps... I wont bother for now... because then I would want to stick in ARB locker-rear... and I can't afford that

Any insight would be totally appreciated.
Thanks!

------------------
1987 3" lifted YJ with 31" KOs new paint etc.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I would sugguest an axle swap in the future, but the lift and tire will get you rolling. they should last ok if you don't beat on them too hard. Did you tell NSOR you are from bc4x4.com? I just ordered my lift from them. Being a bc4x4.com member saved me over $500!
I like deals like that!

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN :(
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, 3 wheels
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I did.
I think these are pretty good prices.

Okay... well hopefully I dont need the axles now... a gear change maybe Ill go for.

------------------

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Basically, to swap or not is irrelevant to your lift decision since the springs/shocks will work with any axle you choose. I'm sure you know this but I wasn't quite sure why you included that info in your post.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
also keep in mind that an axle swap is not by any means cheap if done right. in the end i spend over 3000 swapping the EB axles into N8's jeep. that was a total rebuild of both diffs and a detroit for the rear. labour was not included either.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroits f+r, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

[This message has been edited by cornjeeper (edited March 14, 2002).]

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by big jeep'n:
hmmm...when did bds drop the price of there lift?...i always thought bds is more...or are the prices for the bds and pro-comp mixed up??

allan

Those are NSOR's special prices for bc4x4.com members. they are lower than normal.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
360 V8, 3 wheels

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, thanks Larry - I did know that ...

I am just worried about that $3,000 that N8 spent swapping his axle.

------------------

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by bradmad:
Yeah, thanks Larry - I did know that ...

I am just worried about that $3,000 that N8 spent swapping his axle.
That's TWO axles he swapped. If you found the matching gear ratio for your front axle and didn't rebuild the axle (not necessary if you find a more recent Ford 8.8), you could actually swap an 8.8 into the back for $1000.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have gone through the same decision making process on my scout.

I have 4.5 inch of ttl lift. but 1.5 inches in the shackle. Not the best but long term I want a spring over 5"lift.

With the 354 gears and some daily driver considerations I decided to run the 32x11.5 size tires. Still respectable power on the hills and accelerating. but 4byin deffenetly has to be done in 4Low.

I lose less then 1/2 inch clearence difference from the 33's while maintaining the rpms in the power range for highway speeds.

Costs
2" body lift using fabricated spacers $120
1" added used leaf to help sagging $50
1.5" Shackles & shims to correct caster $130.

Cheep compromises for the short term when the long term goal is out of reach still.

Id like to be running 35's with lockers but I'll need spring over, & lower gears. Then I might need a tougher axle. And then.... and then.... and then....

------------------
4x4pics

[This message has been edited by Sid the Squid (edited March 15, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
Or you could go for the El Cheapo 5" of drop bracket junk like me.. Not sure how well that works on a Jeep though.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
382 Posts
here is a break down of my axle swap.

d44 300
9" 300
detroit 600 cash
new gears and set up 900
seals berings 100
front disk brake conversion 450
hy steer 650
im probably forgetting some things but this
adds up to 3300
oh yeah custom driveshafts 500
sye 300

and the list goes on........

------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah... I can't afford that. So basically I am sitting at my limit right now, and I should not lift any more until I am ready to put in money for stronger axles, and a different gear ration.

Oh well... guess the insurance money will go to a nice alarm... that protects... my empty cd cases

------------------

·
Registered
207 Posts
Originally posted by cobranos:
DAMN THATS CHEAP....

I asked how much to lift my truck....

$15000-$20000
But its a little diffrent....12"-14"s of lift and 38"-42" Swampers to go on a super duty....

Then he told me that it was illegal ....so he didnt think i should do it...

Oh well

http://www.nsor.com/testdrive/2001/japan-sd/

Later people
My understanding was that there is no "illegal" amount of lift. They say 12" without a VI, and anything over that you need to get a VI. But often you end up getting a cop pull you over and give you a safety anyway, even under 12". I know a guy who just did a SAS on a chev 1/2 ton, with a total of 14" lift in the front, and he's going to 15" in the rear (the back is actually sitting at 7" right now). Before he did the SAS, he phoned up the VI place, and asked how big he could go. He was told there is no limit, but he would have to pass a VI.

------------------
Now cruisin in a '85 'yota, reg cab, SB, 3" lift, 31" AT... basically stock. Faded red and ugly
http://redsand4x4.cjb.net

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
the limit before you are required to get a vi is 4" and that includes lift as a result of larger tires.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
360 V8, 3 wheels

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Yup. if you aren't under those you aren't street legal, and will never pass an inspection.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
360 V8, 3 wheels

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.