BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions about it.

First off, my options. I'm planning on making my own kit. Whether it be shackels or blocks or whatever. I'd like to go for 3 or 4 inches. So which would be the ideal route to go. I do however have to get the back right spring re-arched, and I've been told its not worth doing. So I may end up looking for new springs, in which case lift springs would probably be a good idea at that point.

And secondly, what would I have to do to accomodate it? Aside from new shocks and break lines I mean. Will I need a longer drive shaft, or have to drop my transfer case? Oh and steering, how much am I going to have to modify.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It would help to know what year and model of Chevy you're planning on lifting.

Solid front axle Chevy's are easy to lift...the rear can be lifted by doing a shackle flip which will gain you 4" lift using the stock rear springs. Or you could use a 4" block. Blocks tend to cause axle wrap though. The front however I would purchase some 4" lift springs. Steering mod's for a 4" lift consist of a raised steering arm and not much else. Brake lines need to be either replaced with longer lines or the bracket relocated.
Driveshaft mod's with a 4" lift are none. The T-case should be dropped a little. Most people take the spacers from above the frame lip and move them underneath which lowers the T-case about 1". On a Blazer this would be more necessary than on a LWB pick-up.

The Blazers can be a little finicky on driveline angles like anything short...

Make sure to check the frame area around the steering box...cracks are pretty common in that area.

You'll also need longer shocks. A lot of guys will relocate the rear shocks for beter flex, travel and ride.

I'd look into a kit and save the headaches...Chevy solid axle lift kit's are cheap.

Rene

------------------
God hates a coward!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts