BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The road from Lilloet to Pemberton - is it worthy of a road trip? Is this road being actively used by the Forestry trucks?(ie. will I need a radio?)Or is it crowded with motorhomes?
Anty good places to stop for caming/sites?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
That road is part of hwy 99, and is also known as the Duffy Lake Road. Paved, but the bridges are all on corners and are only one way alternating traffic.
I am doing a similar trip on the long weekend only a little further north on some awesome high altitude roads. Basically Clinton to Pemberton.

Wes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by Wes Rempel:
That road is part of hwy 99, and is also known as the Duffy Lake Road. Paved
The Duffy Lake road is one way to do that drive from Lillooet to Pemberton...

But the other, more-fun way is to go via Gold Bridge and Bralorne. In this direction, it'll be do-able in anything stock. There is a bit of a downhill from Bralorne to Pemberton Meadows, so if you're on your brakes a lot, you may want to take a cool-down break.

This trip will be scenic: first you go along the shores of Carpenter lake. Then, Gold Bridge itself is small-town photogenic. There is a small store there.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gord- that is the route I would like to take. Do I need a radio for it? I'm planning on leaving in two weeks. Any other advice?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Disco, do you plan on being there on the August long weekend? My club will be passing through that area probably Sunday or Monday if you wanted to meet up.
I know the Carpenter Lake road gets used alot by RVs and such. The Hydro sites on Carpenter lake are nice, but can be busy. Not a real big issue, there is lots of tenting space in the old townsite near the Gun Cr. site.
Make sure you have decent to good tires. I am not sure when they graded the Hurley road, but it is known for its shale and flat tires are not uncommon. A plug kit and cheepo Crappy tire air compressor can get you on your way 9 times out of 10.

Wes
...a member of the herd www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wes - Wow thanks for the offer! But when is the holiday weekend?
Are these Hydro sites easy to find?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
The holiday weekend runs from Saturday August 4-Monday August 6th.
The Hydro sites are easy to find as there are large wooden signs right beside the road.
I will be coming down the road that runs north of Carpenter past Tyaughen lake.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
A little late, perhaps, but the Hurley seems to be better (er...smoother) every year. Its a 100kmh + road for a lot of it (aside from the switchbacks at either end), and thats in an econobox. Cool road, if you don't mind the dust. There's ALWAYS someone broken down/overheated there in the summer.

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts