BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 Mazda 4X4, apparently they came stock with a limited slip in the rear, but I'd guess that it has worn out. I'ts pretty easy to get just one tire to spin while the other doesn't at when both have traction. It feels to me just like an other open diff.

Question - I have read in other threads that the "clutch pack" in a LS can wear out. What exactly is this, and is it worth it to replace it? What would I be looking at for cost to have it done(roughly)? Will I notice a substantial improvement , or are LS diffs really as marginally effective as mine seems to be? And what kind of life could I expect before it wore out again?

I don't think I'm ready for a real locker, I'd rather spend my limited $$ on something else.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Limated Slips are only marginally better than an open dif. They use a discs(clutch pack) to provide friction to get both wheels spinning. These clutches wear out. Some limated slips are re-buildable , but many are not.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
buckley said:
Question - I have read in other threads that the "clutch pack" in a LS can wear out. What exactly is this, and is it worth it to replace it? What would I be looking at for cost to have it done(roughly)? Will I notice a substantial improvement , or are LS diffs really as marginally effective as mine seems to be? And what kind of life could I expect before it wore out again?
I _think_ Mazda uses the TracLoc which is also what Jeep used in some of their vehicles. The clutch packs can be replaced. It's a PITA to get the new ones in but it can definitely be done. It doesn't require re-setting your gears so if you're reasonably competent, you can do it yourself.

My only experience with this is that I've had to help re/re one twice; and one of those times was on the trail where we had a limited tool selection.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I would try to resurface the plates with a bit of sandpaper and shim the springs before buying anything.
And then I'd buy a different carrier(open) and put a locker in it after it's really worn out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts